Chapter 3

♫ Bossa Nova- Billie Eilish ♫

I've only been grounded for two days and my mind already feels like it's about to explode. I'm bored. Bored and sad. My dad hasn't said a word to me since he found out I sneaked out with Julia.

The sound of tires screeching to a halt outside catch my attention. I roll out of bed and dash to my open bedroom window. I peer out and see Sanzu step out of his car and make his way towards our front door.

"Hey," I call out to him from the second floor, and he lifts his head to look up at me.

"You're not thinking about jumping out the window, are you?" he jokes.

For the first time in two days, I smile.

Of course, he already knows I'm grounded.

I rush down the stairs, fling open the door and throw myself into my godfather's arms. He wraps his arms around me as I whisper in his ear, "To answer your question, I've seriously considered it."

As we pull away, another car pulls up in the driveway. It's Kokonoi.

He gets out of his car and walks towards us.

"Hi, Koko," I greet my other godfather.

"I thought we were going to find you shackled to your bed," he jokes.

"Don't give my dad any idea," I joke back and step aside to let them in.

We make our way to the living room where my dad is on the phone. He hangs up when he sees us and offers Sanzu and Kokonoi a drink while the three of us plop on our couches.

Sanzu takes a sip of his drink, his eyes trained on me, then he glances at my dad.

"So, are you going to tell us why she's grounded?" he asks him.

Dad casts me a look, silently inviting me to tell him myself, and I sigh, dropping my gaze to the floor.

"I went out without his permission," I confess.

"Where did you go?" Kokonoi asks.

"To a bar."

"With who?"

"My best friend."

"And?" Sanzu prompts.

I shrug. "And nothing."

"You didn't drink alcohol?" Kokonoi asks me and I shake my head no.

"You didn't do drugs?" Sanzu asks.

"No."

"You didn't have wild, unprotected sex with a stranger-"

"Sanzu," My father warns him with a glare while my cheeks turn red.

"No, of course not," I rush out.

"Well, then what's the problem? She turns 18 in a week, she should be allowed to go out," Sanzu tries to resonate with my dad but only gets another a glare in response.

"I'm not going to discuss this with you, Sanzu. You don't have a kid, you don't know what it's like to take care of one."

Sanzu sighs and leans back in his seat, turning his head to Kokonoi. "Back me up here, will ya'?"

"I agree with him, Rin," Kokonoi tells my dad. "She's almost 18 and you still treat her like a child."

My father's jaw clenches. He takes a deep breath before speaking again.

"Ruby, go to your room," he orders me, his voice stern and unforgiving.

"Wait, what about dinner? Do I only get stale bread and water once a day from now on?" I try to lighten the mood with a joke but my father's gaze remains unyielding.