10 - A One Man Conversation

Start from the beginning

"W-what is it?" He sputtered out, opening the door. Fred Weasley was on the other side, hands behind his back and brown eyes wide in mock innocence. Cass could've kissed him, she was so grateful.

"I need clarification on our detention. Which lavatories are we supposed to clean?"

"All of t-them." Quirrell blinked, dumbfounded by the stupidity of the question. "All the b-boys ones, a-at least."

"Well, the problem is, I don't know where every bathroom is. The school is massive, or haven't you noticed?"

Inhaling sharply, Quirrell rubbed his temples with his fingers, before stepping towards the doorway. Though he presented annoyed, Cass imagined he was relieved to be away from The Voice. "F-fine. Come w-with me, Weasley. B-but there b-better be no f-funny business."

"Me? Funny business? Never, Professor!"

The door was shut behind them as Quirrell led Fred Weasley down the hall, their footsteps growing distant until Cass could no longer hear them, and she felt her muscles untense with relief. She was alone.

But...was she? The Voice had to come from somewhere, after all. Unless it was some sort of invisible demon and had followed the professor away. She'd have to come out eventually, though, unless she wanted to starve to death - and she had her wand, so she'd be fine. Right?

Taking one final deep, shaky breath, Cass summoned all the courage she could, before pushing the door open, and stepping back into the office. Just as she shut the door behind her, making sure everything was in the exact condition as it had been before she broke in, the entry door burst open, and she screamed.

"Flipendo!"

A bright blue light flew out of her wand and collided with the stone wall, only centimetres away from hitting George Weasley in the face, as he had dodged it just in time.

"Good Merlin!" He cried out, stuffing a piece of parchment he had been holding into the pocket of his robe, and pulling out his own wand, though he didn't aim it at her. "Why would you do that?!"

"Sorry! I thought you were..." she hesitated, shaking her head. "...it was a reflex."

"Yeah, a reflex that nearly took my ear off. At least go for the right one, I'm quite fond of my left ear." He rubbed it indignantly.

"I said I'm sorry!" Cass scrambled to follow him out of the room, still holding the mysterious book tight against her chest, as if he were about to steal it. "What were you doing in there anyways?"

"Rescuing you, of course." He eyed her up and down as they turned the corner, Cass speed walking her way towards the Ravenclaw common room. "Though by the looks of it, you can take care of yourself."

"How did you know I needed...rescuing? Or where I was, for that matter?"

"Fred and I have eyes everywhere." George winked at her. Cass would've usually demanded he elaborate, but she was in no position to argue, considering he had saved her arse twice that day.

"So, it's safe to assume that Fred coming in was intentional?"

"Yep." He nodded, his messy red hair bobbing up and down. "He got Quirrell away so I could get you out of that closet. Guess you owe us two favours now."

The corners of Cass's mouth turned up, though her heart rate hadn't gone down. Probably from the anxiety of what had just happened - and the questions that swam through her mind, though she refused to think about them until she reached her dorm room. Herbology with Sprout could wait - she could borrow Naia's notes if need be.