4: Falling victim

Start from the beginning

"What possessed you to marry Gojo?" the tall and thin woman, with a beauty mark under her eye and drink in her hand questioned, and your husband frowned. "Was it a business deal?"

"Um-"

"I did not even introduce her yet," he whined, "y/n, these are some of my best friends: Suguru, Utahime, and Shoko!" Looking from Satoru to these three people, they were studying you closely. "Say, is Mei-san not here?"

"Did you pay her to come?" Shoko asked as she sipped her drink.

"No," he grumbled, "she scammed me the last time I saw her."

Nevertheless, you smiled and said, "lovely to meet you all."

"You look...young." the woman in the middle commented. She was stunning, with dark hair, a white bow on the back of her head, and the getup befitting a miko priestess...you hated to admit you were a little put off by her.

"Just turned twenty-two," Satoru took a sip of his sake and pulled on your ears just to fluster you. You of course put your hands on your head and complained, stop it, Satoru-sama, making him grin even wider. "Is she not the most adorable thing you had ever seen?"

"You are a creep." Utahime spat, while Suguru only shook his head and leaned down to get a good view of you.

"Yes, Lady Gojo, you are adorable. Quite a shame Satoru got his hands on you first." He was smiling at your flushed face, and your husband didn't quite like that.

"Thank you...Suguru-kun-"

"My wife, bastard. Not yours," pulling you closer into his side and walking away from the three, Satoru leaned down to whisper in your ear, "my beautiful wife...you look absolutely stunning tonight." Even though his words made you shiver, you could still smell the reek of alcohol in his breath...something you had just become of age to drink. It was clear he was on his way to being inebriated, and you would be victim to his wandering hands and salacious words.

"Satoru..." you trailed, head looking up to meet eyes with him and you thought maybe, maybe this wouldn't be so bad. The smile you showed him was almost true, and he cooed at you.

"Do not forget sama after that, wife," he was smirking now, nose touching yours and lips dangerously close, "or you'll get in some trouble with the elders."

"Lady Gojo," spinning around again, your eyes focused on Jun, both of the twins and Megumi. Maki had skipped all the formalities and barreled into you, almost bumping Satoru in the process. "Maki, would it kill you to be polite?" Megumi mumbled.

"He is right, my niece. Manners," Your father called, standing in between Megumi and Naoya, and you were smiling at the sight of them. "Care to introduce your family?" Coming back to Satoru's side and holding his arm, you gestured to your family standing in front of you.

"This is Naoya and my father, Master Zen'in Naobito. I believe you have met them before, husband," moving on, you pointed at the teenagers before you, "this is Megumi-kun, Mai and Maki, and well...you know my lady already...Maki is the woman with glasses, and the one I told you pushed me in the lake," you smiled and then noticed one familiar face not among the crowd. "Has Toji not come?"

"He was not invited per the Master's orders." Maki informed you. Ha!

"Well, at least you are here," you said, "my greatest friend."

Satoru's reaction was a slight bow to the men in front of him, followed by a rude declaration by your father, "a pest is what she is." Maki tried her hardest to ignore him for the sake of your wedding being perfect, but she did send a nasty look over her shoulder.

"My lovely wife would not approve of insults to her closest friend, Lord Zen'in," Satoru said languidly, and Naoya grimaced at his words, "I ask of you to refrain for the sake of her wedding night." You were about to look up at Satoru and tell him that it was alright, but he was already pulling you close, chest pressed into his side.

"I will do anything I please, Gojo," Naobito stated, "I may be on your lands, but that is my daughter under your arm."

"And I am her husband, meaning she is mine," he was smiling with a slight slur in his words, "by law, your daughter belongs to me." His cockiness did not sit well with your father, and you bit your lip as you met eyes with an uneasy Naoya. Your cousins were all looking away at the words they threw at each other, and you all were in no position to interrupt them.

Truthfully, there was no way for Naobito to refute that statement, but he looked at you who was a little uncomfortable with the tension, almost curling into Satoru's side, and he scoffed. "Shall we settle this elsewhere, Gojo?"

"Great idea!"

"Come, Naoya." Like a lapdog, you brother followed behind with annoyance while Satoru turned to face you.

"You be on your best behavior, wife," you fought back a smile when he cupped your cheek, speaking lowly, "I will be back by your side soon." Nodding, you watched as his hand slipped off you and he walked after your father and brother, and then you turned to your cousins.

"He seems to like you." Mai teased.

"Stop, he is just a teasing man," you pointed to Megumi, "you made him sound horrible."

"I did no such thing." he grinned at you, making you turn away with crossed arms.

Suguru, Utahime, and Shoko were watching the way you interacted with your friends...cousins? Either way, an uneasy feeling rose in Utahime's stomach as she observed you. Young, talking excitedly and dancing with that tall and dark haired boy who looked so grim, it was clear that you were just another young woman in a traditional family...who did not understand the implications of this arrangement.

You were naive, but she knew Gojo well enough to know what was running through his mind.

She pitied you, and she turned to Shoko who was on the same page as her saying, "he will not stay faithful to her."

"Poor girl." she sighed.

"Does he really need to?" Suguru chuckled, "Satoru has got it made. He can do what he pleases during the day and still come home to that little minx in the evenings."

"It is not right." was all Utahime said, and she frowned. That youthful and beautiful smile on your face as you spoke with your cousins would soon be tarnished by Gojo Satoru, and there was nothing you could do to change that. She felt herself getting sick when Satoru pulled you close to his side and leaned down to give you a kiss on your cheek. He set his drink on the tray of a servant just passing by and took you happily in his arms, but Utahime knew it was an act.

She knew that you were likely acting too, but just like everyone else, you would fall victim to him and his pleasant words and promises.

"I'm getting out of here." she muttered.