Hailwatcher pauses outside the warriors' den, glancing around with a lingering nervousness in his movements.

A few fox-lengths away, the small gray tom sees Slightstar and Raggedfoot, ShadowClan's new deputy, sitting together and discussing among themselves; their conversation is inaudible from his current position but he can guess that it has something to do with him.

Hailwatcher, content to avoid both of them, moves to the fresh-kill pile but senses eyes burning into his back.

The young medicine cat quickly picks up a small frog for himself and trots back to the medicine den mouth, settling down.

He takes a bite of the frog, but its flesh turns cold and slimy in his mouth once he realizes that Slightstar is looking at him.

The silver tabby flicks his tail sharply, and coupled with the hard stare he gives Hailwatcher the gray tom realizes that the ShadowClan leader wants him for something.

Not keen on getting any nearer but finding that there isn't a favorable alternative, Hailwatcher tucks the frog into a corner in the medicine den and rises to his paws.

The small gray tom tentatively approaches Slightstar and Raggedfoot, keeping his gaze pointed downward; he feels his legs begin to tremble and presses his paws together on the ground.

"Good morning," he mumbles, shifting a hind paw in the dirt.

"Did you need me for..something?"

Slightstar clears his throat, prompting Hailwatcher to reluctantly glance upward.

"For once, yes," replies the ShadowClan leader snidely, sporting an unreadable expression.

Raggedfoot glances down at Hailwatcher and scowls.

The small gray tom forces himself to swallow and tries unsuccessfully to stop himself from trembling.

"Shellstar, Snowflash, and Ivyhawk of RiverClan will soon be arriving to discuss an alliance, and you will be allowed to sit in on the meeting," mews Slightstar.

Hailwatcher feels a wave of skepticism crash through him.

"Oh," he replies quietly, shrinking away from Raggedfoot when the cream and black tom sneers at him, "-well-"

"However," Slightstar continues, purposefully cutting the small gray tom off, "-you will remain quiet throughout the meeting unless you are spoken to."

Hailwatcher nods, still warily eyeing Raggedfoot.

"Yes, Slightstar.."

"Lovely," Slightstar mews, a threatening tone underscoring his response.

"I'm pleased that we've come to an..understanding," the silver tabby adds, flexing his claws for a split second.

Hailwatcher jumps away a little and both the leader and deputy smirk.

The young medicine cat glances up at the tree canopy to distract himself from the constricting sensation tightening his chest and throat.

Raggedfoot thoroughly surveys Hailwatcher's face and shoulder with a sneer.

"What happened to you?" he inquires, snickering a little.

Hailwatcher bristles, humiliated, and glances at Slightstar for permission to tell the truth; the silver tabby nods, subtly rolling his eyes.

"..I- tried to help Willowstar...and, um- ...yeah," he mumbles, shrinking into his pelt and casting a glance in Slightstar's direction.