Chapter 6 - Birthday Gift

The next day, the classes I had been in were all just fine and nothing out of the ordinary happened. After class, I had some time to go out in Hogsmeade, I was worrying about the gift that I need to start looking for. If only Draco told me earlier, I would've had lots of time to think it through. I had Eleanor to accompany me,

"I still couldn't believe that you got invited to Draco's mother's birthday. I mean, you get to go to Malfoy Manor again."

"Yeah, I can't wait to go there too."

"You can't wait to meet your lover, aren't you?" she smirked as she teased me.

"Whatever. I just wished Draco would've given me the letter earlier. Now I have to scratch my brain to try and find a good gift for his mother." I sighed. We walked around Hogsmeade for a while and stopped at a shop where they sell crafted things. Elaine was distracted by the store next door, so we went separately for a moment. When I entered the shop, it was filled with wooden items, crafted into stools, dressers, and many more. Then the shop owner came from around the cash register, and welcomed me,

"A customer, welcome! How may I help you?" he clasped his hands together and grinned with excitement.

"Hello, I am looking for something, a gift for a friend. For her birthday. But I don't really know what to get her," I smiled, hoping he'll get the hint that I need help.

"Well, don't worry, I can help. May I ask what does your friend like to do, perhaps we can work from there."

"Uh, she likes to read. A lot. And I think reading is one of her best interests." I answered. He looked around the shop for a minute, trying to figure it out. Then he walked, leading me towards the corner of his shop and I followed him from behind.

"Ah, terrific. Well, here we have a variety of selections for bookshelves. You can have a look." He showed the shelves, which were undoubtedly good. But I couldn't possibly buy a bookshelf for her, how am I supposed to bring it or even pay for it?

"Do you have anything smaller perhaps? Or just something that is below that price? It's over my budget" I laughed nervously. He nodded his head showing that he understood me. Again, he showed me bookshelves that can be installed on the walls, but he doesn't understand fully what I am looking for - I mean, he did show me a smaller one at a lower price. So, I thanked him and then proceeds to walk out, but on my way out, I see these beautiful three-pieces of wood that were shaped into hearts, diamonds and flowers.

"Oh, these are nice. What are these?" I asked him,

"Um, those are just accessories you can put on the table. Like a holder, that you can put on top of napkins, to prevent them from flying. Or something more or less like that,"

"You mean, I could use it as a perhaps page holder maybe?" he thought for a minute and nodded his head, agreeing. I grabbed it and brought it to the cash register, I placed it down, and as he was pressing the buttons for its price, I saw a book nook on the shelves behind the register.

"Excuse me, is that a book nook? Did you make that?" he turned to check and then said yes.

"Are you selling that?" I politely asked him, scared it might not be up for sale. I waited for his response,

"Well, it's not for sale. I just made it for fun." I was crushed seeing that it was not for sale. I look down at the holder thingy and accepted the truth that I may as well give Narcissa a bad gift.

"If you want, I can give it to you."

"I'm sorry?" he turned, grabbed the book nook, and put it into the bag and the holder.

"Oh no please, if you put a price on it, I can pay you." I insist,

"That's alright miss. I rarely get any customers coming in, you were the first one that came in and ended up buying something. Mostly they just stroll in for a look. Don't worry, I'm giving this to you as a 'thank-you' and I'm sure your friend will enjoy it." he smiled, then handed me the bag.

"Thank you. I hope your shop will get many more customers after this. I appreciate you doing this." He nodded his head and said thank you. Before I could grab the bag, he stopped and added wrapping paper to the bag, and I thanked him again. Right when I walked out of the shop, I bumped into Eleanor.

"Did you get a gift in there?" I showed her the bag then she showed me hers. We walked back to our common room. When I walked up the stairs that were leading to our dorm rooms, I bumped into Draco.

"Hey, what you got there?" he asked, trying to get a peek out of it. I pushed him from looking at it.

"You can't look. I need to wrap these, and then pack my stuff. Have you packed?"

"Nope. I'm going to pack later. I need to go see Blaise. He's probably waiting for me." I stopped him before he goes, and I asked,

"What time are we leaving tomorrow? At least I know what time I'll be waking up and getting ready."

"I think by 8.30 or 9 would be okay." He suggests. Then he walked away. I went into my room and placed the bag on the bed. Taking out the items one by one, I was still grateful to that shop owner for wanting to give the book nook for free. I put it all in a box and then I wrapped it with wrapping paper. It doesn't look good at first, and I was so fed up with it, I took out my wand and casts a spell for it to wrap itself tidily with a ribbon on top. Then I grabbed a piece of paper and a pen to write a small piece of birthday message,

"Happy birthday Dear Narcissa,

I hope you will enjoy the gifts I got you. Even though it is not much. I'm pretty sure your library of books would enjoy it too.

From y/n."

I fold it halfway and then attached it to the box. I was so happy with the result that I completely missed out on dinner. But I didn't mind that. I took out my bag and begin packing for the trip and for my stay at the manor. I was nervous thinking about how I should communicate with her family and friends. I took a bunch of dresses and shoes - it's only for two days or so but I couldn't possibly dress down. Thinking that I might bump into Bella, I thought of packing my nightgown - who knows, anything could happen, although it's hard to say so because we got off on the wrong foot the other day.

The next morning, I woke up around 7 in the morning, started to get ready and everything. Some of the students were also going back home, some stayed at Hogwarts. I waited for Draco in the common room but he hasn't come down yet. I saw Blaise walking down,

"Hey, Blaise. Where's Draco? Is he up already?" I asked him,

"Yeah, he's up. I think he's on his way down. Anyway, have fun over the weekends, y/n, see you!" he said enthusiastically as he walked away then Eleanor hugged me to say goodbye.

"Thanks, E. Enjoy your weekend," I said smiling,

"Have fun!" she said as she waved goodbye before walking out with Blaise. Then after a while, Draco finally comes down adjusting his tie and his hair.

"My god. Found your glass slippers? What took you so long?" I teased him and rolled my eyes as we both walked out together side-by-side.

"I was looking for my tie, the one my mother bought me. I forgot to pack that last night."

"Last night? or did you just start packing today?" I squint my eyes trying to get an answer from him. But he stayed quiet then slowly a smile starts to show, which means he did just start packing today. I shook my head with disapproval but it's Draco, I'm used to his quirks and everything. We entered the train and look for seats, then we leave for the train at 9 am sharp. We sat together; I was reading a book while he played cards by himself. Although my eyes were glued to the pages of the book, my mind was somewhere else. I kept thinking of the scenarios that might happen over the weekend - will Bella talk with me? or is she still mad? is Narcissa going to love the gifts I got her? I shook all those questions, so for now, I'll just read my book in peace.

*a/n: another new update! The next chapter will be set in Malfoy Manor, and it is currently in the works. So, I might publish the chapter soon too, keep on the lookout for that. I hope all of you enjoyed reading this, thank you for all your support; for this book, and for the previous one too. I appreciate, each and every one of you. As always, take care and stay safe!