IV ~ Atop the frozen wall

He heard the doors slide open and turned to see who it was, he saw Warden standing at there with a blank expression that quickly changed into anger. He put his deck of cards down and stood up, walking over to her.

"Is everything alright?"

She scowled at him for a bit, not saying a word.

"You're angry at me, I can see that. Why? What did I do this time?"

"Doesn't matter"

"Yes it does, how can I not make you angry if I don't know what I'm doing wrong?"

"I said it doesn't matter"

She turned around and walked away, he sighed, she was acting like a child and she knew it. Why was she so mad at him? He didn't do anything to anger her. He looked back to the room, the officers sat there quietly, waiting for an explanation.

"I'll be back, I need to talk to her."

"I think you should stay, if she's angry it's best to leave her alone."

He considered it. It felt like the first night they spent here, they were angry at eachother, they'd sleep it over and then he'd go to apologize. This situation has happened before, and he hated it every time.

"No, I need to talk to her now. You can continue without me."

He closed the door behind himself as he left, his footsteps made little sound in the empty corridors. After a bit of searching he found her - she was in the room with the finds, angrily scribbling something on her notepad. She heard him enter and slammed the notepad shut, she stared at the wall so intensely he thought it would crumble beneath her gaze.

"Have you found anything that could help us?"

"No."

"Right.... If the communication in this place wouldn't be so shitty we could maybe send some samples to the lab but.... Obviously that isn't an option."

"...."

"Y'know I've been looking through some of the spells that could've been used to destroy the communication center."

He decided not to mention that he was looking for manipulation spells, he thought it could anger her more and he didn't want to take any chances. After all, he would be useless with broken ribs.

"Since we ruled out the explosion I looked at fire-causing spells-"

"Why a spell? Why can't it be just a normal fire."

He hesitated, slowly looking up from his notepad and locking eyes with Warden. He tried to tell from her cold, dark stare what she was mad about, her black eyes did not yield any answers. Something clicked in hid mind.

Cold, black, unwavering...

He thought of the wall, standing lonely, the sole survivor of horrid and terrifying massacre.

"Tell me why you're so angry"

"No."

"War-"

"IT DOESN'T MATTER"

".... please, I'm trying my best to help you, to help everyone-"

"THAT. THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM.
Everytime something happened it's YOU who has to save everyone. It's YOU who is the saviour at the end of the day. YOUR theories are always right, YOU ALWAYS COME OUT ON TOP. No matter how hard I try I will NEVER be as good as you even though I'M YOUR BOSS. I'M THE ONE WHO'S SUPPOSED TO BE IN CHARGE."

With each word he staggered another step back, trying to keep her out of reach. Soon he was pressed up against the wall, trying to keep her hands away from his throat. His chains, even when wrapped around most of her torso, struggled to pull her back. What would have a normal criminal on their knees was a slight inconvenience to her. He saw the deep blue, sheer, crystalline ribbons of her magic flowing around her, the black of her irises spread until her eyes became as dark as her hair.