"How many triggers does the zombie virus have?" I asked.

"Interestingly enough, forty-six, which just so happens to match the exact number of chromosomes humans have." At my blank stare, she shrugged. "DNA is complex. Humans actually have all the right genes for feathers if they were active. This is why seeing new triggers activating has me worried. Completely new traits could emerge."

Nicky paused with her fork halfway to her mouth. "Please tell me we aren't about to be inundated with flying zombies. I still haven't finished writing that book about zombies that burrow underground because it gave Jess nightmares."

Nina shook her head. "No, I doubt we'll see zombies with feathers anytime soon, but the differences we are seeing mean the chemicals aren't very stable, or they might be interacting differently depending on the person's DNA."

"That Runner was almost as dangerous as a Nightstalker." I pointed out. "And it wasn't hampered by light. If there are more affected Runners around, they could easily overrun a Stronghold."

"Assuming their triggers were similar, yes." Nina rubbed her eyes tiredly. "That's why this place is sending out more warnings. So far, no places with radio towers have reported seeing strange zombies, but a few haven't responded yet."

"And it's definitely a chemical cause, not a disease, right?" I asked, leaning against a wall.

She nodded. "It's definitely caused by chemicals affecting the triggers."

"This place is suddenly glad they have two sane zombies visiting," Daniel said dryly. "I still scare them, but feral zombies of unknown potential scare them more."

"At least they didn't lock you out," Nicky commented, "although it would have been hilarious to watch their expressions if you decided to climb over their fence."

"I'd prefer it if they stopped staring," I muttered. "I think I'm going to head out early tonight."

"Can I convince you to hang around until nightfall?" Nicky asked. "Maybe play a boardgame or something? Otherwise I'd be tempted to improve my duck launcher, and Daniel might lock me in that cage permanently. Jess even sent that shampoo you like if you want a hot shower."

A shower was tempting, and it had been a while since I played a boardgame. "I guess I can stay a while longer."

~

I examined the cards in my hand as I lay on my stomach on the bed. Nicky was across from me, having pushed Nina's bed closer, with the boardgame on an end table between us. I set down several cards and moved my token along the path.

With a sigh, Nicky's head faceplanted into the blankets as her muffled voice came through the rough fabric. "I give up."

With her face still in the blankets, she spread her cards out, revealing none of the ones she needed to catch up to me.

"I've had enough of boardgames for a while," I said, sitting up. "I'm going to grab a shower."

Nicky leaned over the side of the bed and dug through her backpack before tossing a bottle to me.

"Thanks," I said, recognizing the pale green liquid as the almost-scentless shampoo my sister had come up with after quizzing me on scent-masking plants.

She sat up. "I'm going to raid the kitchen before the sun sets. It won't be long before the others show up."

"No detours to cause mischief."

"There's no need to ruin my plans like that."

Shaking my head, I stuck the shampoo in my backpack and headed for the shower area, hoping they had individual stalls for privacy.

~

I sat on a bench outside the cabin as I finished braiding my damp hair. The sun had set a while ago, and most of the locals had gone inside with the encroaching darkness. The Stronghold was fairly quiet as people settled down for the night.

Stars appeared overhead as I put my backpack on and walked beside the fence. All of the access gates had been locked an hour ago. I didn't see a key, nor did I possess Nicky's lock picking skills. I examined the fence, particularly the tin at the top.

If there hadn't been enough light for various people to see me, I would tried climbing over it just to prove I could, but someone would certainly spot me and think I was a feral zombie. After the events earlier today, people were on edge, and any panic would spread like wildfire.

I gave up my search for an easy exit and approached the gate. My night-elevated instincts detested the light shining from the guard posts and protested against how visible I was.

A guard peered down at me. "Do you need something?"

"I'm heading out."

"Outside? The riders haven't patrolled since sunset. There are zombies out there."

"And soon there'll be one more," I said as I lifted the heavy board barring the gate.

The man rushed to the ladder. "Hey—"

"Wait," his companion grabbed his arm before he could climb down. "She's one of the zombies from Ironwind."

They stared at me, unsure of how to react as I closed the gate behind myself and reached through the iron bars to juggle the board back into place.

"I'll be back around dawn." With a half wave, I disappeared into the darkness.

I was tired of the smell of humans, so I headed north. Once I was past the irrigated crop fields, the arid ground was covered in waist-high scrubby bushes and clumps of tough grasses. Few trees were to be seen.

Taking a deep breath, I checked the air, but there was almost no wildlife in the vicinity. Rabbits would have eaten the crops the locals struggled to grow, so they would have been a popular addition to the soup pot.

With a snort that only a mouse or two was close enough to hear, I continued northward. The distant smell of a Runner drifted on the wind. It was the same one I'd scented the other day. I'd have to pay him a visit after I hunted.

My nose continued scouring the air as I traveled. Even after half an hour, I still wasn't detecting much wildlife. The only real perk of road trips was the ability to hunt animals that didn't multiply like rabbits, and I ate enough of those varmints at Ironwind.

I glared at a hare hiding under a shrub. It was the first one I had found, but I wasn't about to count it as the only potential menu item around. I had the entire night ahead of me, and there had to be something tantalizing around here. I scanned the area and noted my location just in case the scrawny critter turned out to be the best pickings.

As I continued northward, another scent became stronger, and I followed it readily. The heavy musk marked the edge of its territory, and I slowed down to avoid being detected. As I crept through the shrubs, I also camouflaged my eyes to hide their glow.

The scent grew stronger. It was nearby.