Ch. 22: A Rubber Ducky?

Start from the beginning

"She really doesn't like these unranked zombies. I think their unpredictable behaviors have her off balance."

"In that case, she'll like it even less when we add this one to our collection."

I smirked and leaned on top of the cab as we began our trip back.

~

Nina looked up as we entered the lab. "Oh, you're back already. Logan just took our lunch dishes back. Did you find the zombie?"

"Yes," Daniel replied. "It's currently chained up and locked in another room in the trailer. I'll have to—"

Twang!

An elastic ricocheted off the roof and landed on the floor between Daniel and me. Red curls peeked above the far table as Nicky checked her aim.

Her eyes lit up when she saw me, and she bounced to her feet. "Trinity! You're back!"

"Are you really trying to welcome me back by shooting elastics at me?"

"Hey, if that's the only thing that gets fired in your direction by the time we get back to Ironwind, it'll be an improvement over how our road trips usually turn out."

I growled at her. "Don't you dare jinx me."

Daniel added, "I thought you were behaving and helping Nina?"

She lifted her chin. "This deal stinks. When I said I'd help Nina, I meant I'd fight zombies and start fires to distract intruders, not wash petri dishes and sweep the floor. In the future, if you need anything from me, please reconsider."

"Are you winning or losing this bet?" I idly inquired as I sat in a nearby chair.

She gave me a big grin. "Oh, I'm going to win. He just doesn't realize it yet."

I smirked at the face Daniel made.

Nina glanced at us, and in an obvious attempt to change the topic, she said, "I just have a few tests to finish here, then I wouldn't mind getting a blood and saliva sample from the zombie you brought back. These tests will take at least half an hour though, so you have time to relax."

Nicky jogged over to me. "Since Daniel is here, I'm freed of my obligations. Wait until you see what we did to the cage!"

"I heard a few rumors."

"If they involve paint, a map, or a rubber ducky, I'm totally innocent."

"What rubber ducky?" Daniel asked, glancing at Nina, who shrugged.

"You'll find out. In the meantime, I'll show Trinity what we did to the cage last night. Come on, Trinity!" Nicky skipped out of the room with far too much energy.

Daniel and Nina exchanged a look before he slowly scanned the room.

As I got to my feet, I asked, "Do you want me to lock her in the cage when we're out there?"

"It's tempting," Daniel murmured, still examining the room as if a certain yellow, squeaky object was about to appear. Unfortunately for him, making things simple wasn't Nicky's style.

I chuckled quietly and went in search of Nicky, who was already waiting by the entrance.

As we walked past an outhouse whose door could potentially glow in the dark, I asked, "Could you have found a brighter shade of orange?"

"It wasn't for lack of trying," she cheerfully replied. "I had to add a lot of yellow to get that shade."

"I bet you did..." I muttered, shaking my head. "What did you do with a rubber ducky?"