Ch. 14: Load 'em Up!

Start from the beginning

He nodded and headed in that direction. After a final look around to make sure no feral zombies were inside the fence, I returned to the building with the teenager.

I knocked on the wall as I climbed the stairs. "It's just me. The zombies are outside the fence, and we're about to go to Graydon Stronghold. We can give you a ride."

By the time I reached the top step, this time with my flashlight on, the teenager was standing nervously in the doorway. She held the little solar light in her good hand while the blanket was awkwardly draped over her shoulder and bandaged arm.

"Ready to go?" I asked her, pausing where I was.

She shivered and hunched her shoulders but nodded and came forward. Turning around, I went down the stairs ahead of her, listening to her footsteps so I didn't get too far ahead.

I held the main door open as I waited for her. Her eyes darted back and forth as she gingerly edged through the doorway, clearly expecting more zombies to attack. When I started walking, she hesitated, then ran to catch up, keeping closer than I preferred. I guided her to the truck and realized I might have to help her into the back.

I made a face, not looking forward to how my night-and-controlex-enhanced instincts would react to the contact. "Can you climb up with one hand? Or do you need help?"

"I can do it," she quietly said.

After setting the solar light in the back, she used her good hand to steady herself as she climbed over the tailgate. She settled into a corner and pulled the blanket around her shoulders, holding it closed in front of her.

I dug into the emergency kit. "Here's a couple of safety pins. I can secure that for you."

I vaulted lightly into the back, which made her flinch away. Pretending I hadn't seen her reaction, I leaned forward and pinned the blanket shut in front so the wind couldn't blow it away. I glanced at the building with the archer, but Daniel hadn't emerged yet. While waiting, I grabbed the bag of wood off the top of the truck cab and refilled the wood hopper.

"Wh-what's that noise?" she asked.

The dull thudding came from the zombie trying to break out of the gun cabinet, but for some reason, I didn't think the truth would help her nerves. Before I had time to think of a plausible reply, Daniel came out of the building with a man behind him.

Ignoring her question, I pointed. "There are the others. We can leave as soon as they get here."

"Who is it?" she asked, craning her neck.

"The one with the flashlight is Daniel. I'm not sure who the other guy is."

When they got closer, I asked, "Do you want me to open the gate and clear the way?"

"If you don't mind," Daniel replied. "Just give me a minute to see if they want the cure now or at Graydon Stronghold."

I didn't feel like lingering, so I jumped out of the back of the truck and wandered over to the gate. Three regular zombies pressed against the fence, growling and groaning. I ignored them and stood far enough away that they couldn't pick up my scent.

The man wasted no time clambering into the back of the truck for a tear-filled reunion with the woman, both of whom thought the other had died. After a short discussion, Daniel leaned into the truck cab and pulled out two loaded syringes. As soon as they had been given the cure, he started the truck.

I lifted the board barring the gate and pushed both doors open. As the zombies headed my way, I sprinted ahead, still using my flashlight to keep the humans from realizing I was a Nightstalker. My instincts hated the light since it made me far too easy to spot, and they were utterly insulted that the zombies had the gall to chase me.

But the gate was open and clear for Daniel, who stopped the truck just outside and closed it behind him. He got back into the truck and drove around the zombies chasing me. The two in the back huddled together, occasionally shaking.

When Daniel slowed down to let me catch up, their eyes went wide in terror, staring at the zombies behind me. There was no point in letting them think they were going to be attacked by more zombies, so I put on a burst of speed and vaulted into the back.

Daniel sped up and returned to the main road. I sat in the corner farthest from the two and placed the flashlight on the mattress, pointing it in their direction. They blinked at the dim light and began looking around. The road ahead was illuminated by the truck's regular headlights, and for once, no zombies were in sight. They slowly lost their terrified expressions, although they continued to glance around nervously.

"Thank you for rescuing us," the man eventually said, breaking the silence, "and, uh, sorry about aiming my crossbow at you."

"At least you didn't shoot." I kept my voice level and halfway bored to keep my annoyance out of my voice.

"I still shouldn't have pointed it at you."

The teenager gave him a strange look. "You pointed a bow at her? Didn't she knock?"

He ducked his head sheepishly. "Yeah, she knocked, but I wasn't thinking straight. Zombies had been tearing down the door and had almost broken through when she arrived." He shook his head slowly and murmured, "I'll never forget the sounds of the zombies ripping the door apart."

She patted his shoulder sympathetically.

He lifted his eyes to look at me. "How many people got out?"

I wryly wondered what had happened to their former silence as I replied, "From what I heard, everyone who escaped this place made it. Only a few died." Since they were suddenly so talkative, I figured I might as well ask some questions of my own. "Did you see a zombie that was acting weird?"

He frowned. "Yeah, but it was inside the fence by the time most of us realized anything was wrong. There was no warning. Just strange screams, and a few minutes later, the guards sounded a zombie invasion alarm."

"It got inside within a couple of minutes?" I asked incredulously.