Meanwhile the front guard were having an easier time dealing with the approaching ghouls despite the greater numbers of said ghouls. The creatures clearly aren't very tactically smart, as they ran straight at Sam and the Alpha-9 soldiers who'd formed a firing squad-like formation. Given that they were in a relatively narrow tunnel it meant that the ghouls were running into a wall of bullet fire  and getting mowed down. Within a matter of moments all twenty of the approaching ghouls were destroyed by gunfire.

   Sam walked up to one of the dead ghouls to get a closer look at the creature. "Yeesh. Ghoul or not these things are certainly as ugly as one."

   "Only a face a mother could love." An Alpha-9 soldier says to lighten the mood.

   This got a laugh out of Sam. "Yeah, isn't that the truth!"

   The Sergeant of the group of Alpha-9 soldiers was the one to get everyone back on track. "We need to keep moving. I've heard these things have super hearing and we just let out a lot of noise during the firefight."

   Alexis turned her attention to Dr. West fell over in fear when one of the ghouls lunged at her and was still sitting on the ground shaken up.

   "Hey, are you sure you should be coming with us? This may be too much for you to handle." Alexis asked as she helped the foundation researcher to her feet.

   "I'm fine. We have a mission to complete." Dr. West says as she does her best to shake away her fear.

  "If you say so. Just know the deeper we go the more dangerous this will get." Alexis says in a last ditch effort to spook the researcher into turning around.

   "She should turn around and leave while she still draws breath. A weakling like her will only hinder their progress." Abel says coldly.

   Whilst she wasn't fond of how rude he put it Lilith had to agree with him. "Perhaps it would be better if she turned back. Her head isn't in the right place to be doing this."

  "Perhaps she has a reason to want to go despite her fear?" Epon suggested.

   The group continues to move through the cave but stopped when they noticed one of the drones that was sent in before them. It has been torn apart, any data it had on it would likely be unrecoverable but just in case one of the soldiers removed its damaged drive. If the data can be recovered then it may hopefully reveal more about the tunnels, but it is unlikely that anything will come of it. The further into the tunnels they went the more destroyed drones they found. Each time they would briefly stop and recover the drives of each one, though just like the first it is unlikely they could recover data from them.

   The group came to a halt when a strange strange sound could be heard echoing throughout the tunnels. It sounded similar to a heart beat, but much bigger not to mention louder.

   "What the hell is that? Why is there a heartbeat underground?" Sam asked.

   "I'm not sure. There have been unexplained earthquakes in this area. The heartbeat might have something to do with it." Dr. West explains.

   "Should we turn back or keep going?" One of the Alpha-9 soldiers asked.

   Before Dr. West could answer the heartbeat got louder and faster than it was before and the ground began violently shaking. The ground they stood on began breaking apart causing the group to fall into a new undiscovered area below. The fall was not a short one so the siblings acted quickly to save as many as they could before they made contact with the ground. Whilst Sam, Alexis, and Nicole could survive the fall the same could not be said for the rest of the group, all of whom are only human.

    Sam, Alexis, and Nicole all sprouted bat wings made of darkness from their backs to safely glide down and simultaneously used tendrils of darkness that emerged from their arms to grab their human compatriots. Thanks to their quick thinking everyone landed on solid ground safely.

    "You know this expedition team has been lucky so far. I've that most expeditions into SCP-2191 tend to end in more than a few casualties, some teams never even make it out alive" Dr. Clef says.

    "From what I understand, after a while the Foundation stopped sending in teams to explore that place. The casualties became too much so they started sending in drones." Dr. Kondraki adds.

   "But why are they sending in an exploration team now? Has something changed?" Dr. Rights questions. "As for their luck, that may be running out. Has anyone ever heard of the ground opening up in the tunnels, or the massive heartbeat?"

   She only received no as an answer from her colleagues. They were just as clueless as her.

   Upon gliding to the ground the group were quick to reevaluate and take in their surroundings. They were surrounded by grass, trees, and bushes. Like a dark underground forest, only the trees here have no leaves nor did the bushes and the grass look dead. As a matter of fact everything looks dead and just as dark as the tunnels.

    "Great, how are we going to get out of here now?" The Alpha-9 Sergeant asked, more out of annoyance than fear as he stared up at the barely visible hole they'd fallen through.

    "Do worry we can fly us all back up there if we have to." Sam treasures.

    "Can the three of you pull that off? Gliding down in one thing but flying up while carrying eleven other people is something else entirely." The Sergeant says.

   "Eh, we'll figure it out." Sam shrugged off the danger.

   'Well that doesn't reassure me at all.' The Sergeant thought. 'If our anomalous teammates can't get us out of here then we're screwed.'

   "Where do we go from here?" Alexis asked.

   "Our assignment is to find the source of the seismic activity in the area. We know it's coming from SCP-2191 but we don't know how. I suspect the heartbeat has something to do with it." Dr. West explains.

   "Why are you just telling us this now?" Sam asked.

    "The objective was on a need to know basis. You didn't need that information at the time." The researcher answers.

   Sam was about to call bullshit but was cut off by Alexis. "What do you know about the heartbeat?" She asked.

   "Nothing. We only knew about the seismic activity." Dr. West answers.

   "You know you won’t be able to gain their trust if you aren't truthful with them." SCP-035 tells the foundation researchers.

   "You are the last one who should be lecturing us on truths and lies." Dr. Clef says. "Our policies regarding how we inform our agents is purely need to know regardless if they're human or anomalous. That won’t be changing anytime soon."

   "Oh you wound my non-existent heart! I have never lied, I simply leave out unnecessary information!" The possessive mask says dramatically.

   "A lie of omission is still a lie." SCP-049 says bluntly. "And you have, in fact, told many."

    "I'm going to get a bird's eye view, I want to know more about this area. I'll be back in a moment." Nicole says before shapeshifting into a hawk and flying off.

   "Should we do in the meantime?" Sam asked.

   "It won't take too long for Nicole to finish scouting. Why don't we wait here for the moment?" Alexis suggested.

   "Agreed. We don't know where we are. It is better to wait for Nicole to return with more information before we continue further." The Alpha-9 Sergeant says. "Unless you have any objections Dr. West?"

   Dr. West was about to answer but was stopped when the sound of a bone chilling scream could be heard from one of the Alpha-9 soldiers. Everyone went into high alert and turned to the screaming soldier just in time to barely see him get dragged into the darkness of the forest. High scream suddenly died out and everything went ominously silent. A moment later the taken soldier was thrown back at the group and one of the SCP-2191 creatures stepped out of the shadows. It lunged at another soldier only to quickly get cut down by Sam who'd manifested a sword using darkness.

   Alexis went to check on the fallen soldier only to find him dead, his insides had been liquidated and sucked out by the creature.

  "Did he make it?" Dr. West asked. Unlike Alexis she couldn't tell he'd been killed just by looking, though she had a strong feeling he'd passed.

   "He's dead. That creature drained him." Alexis answers.

   "We need to move, we're sitting ducks here. More of them are bound to show up" the squad Sergeant says. "How long do you think it will take for your sister to get back?"

   As if on cue Nicole arrived to report what she had seen. She landed and returned to her normal form and took notice of the dead soldier.

    "What happened?" She asked.

    "Killed by one of the creatures." Alexis answers. "What did you find while you were flying around?"

   "We're in some kind of underground valley, it's mostly just dead forest with those creatures wandering around. But in the center of the valley is what looked like a giant mass of muscle. It's probably the source of the tremors." Nicole reports.

   "Then that's where we need to be. We need to get a sample from it so our researchers can get a better understanding of it." Dr. West says.

   "I'm not so sure that's a good idea. The closer to the center of the valley we get the more and more frequent those creatures get. There were a bunch of them praying around the "heart"." Nicole explains.

   "Why don't you let Nicole, Sam, and I collect that sample. You and the soldiers should get back to the surface and report what we found."

   "No we-!" Dr. West starts only to be cut off by Sam.

   "Will risk getting yourselves killed pointlessly. The deeper we go the more of them there will be. Not to mention this entire time you've been looking like you'll pass out from fear at any moment and that's the last thing we need." Sam explains. "Me and my siblings may not be able to keep everyone alive against the constant Onslaught of these creatures. The deeper we go the more of them there will be. If it's just the three of us we can focus on the objective. That sample of whatever is at the center of this place is worth the lives of these men. Let us handle it."

   "He makes some valid points, thus would probably go quicker and with less casualties if they did this on their own." Iris says.

   "As true as that may be, the higher ups won't be too pleased." Dr. Clef says.

   "Does it matter so long as the mission is complete?" Iris asked.

   "You were once in an MTF yourself, you should know how strict they are." Dr. Clef answers.

   "Don't they value the lives of their men?" Epon asked.

   Lilith scoffed at the question. "Human life is expendable to them so long as they get to study SCP's."

   Dr. West finally gave in to their request. "Fine, just make sure you get that sample. We can't leave empty handed."

   "You have our word." Sam says in hope of gaining her trust.

   "How exactly are we going to get out of here?" The Sergeant asked.

   "Leave that to me." Alexis says as she stares up at the hole they fell through and quickly got an idea as to how she can help.

   "Alright everyone get in close together!" Alexis announced "I'm going to lift you back up to where we fell."

     Everyone save for Sam and Nicole did as she was sad and grouped up in one area. "How are you going to get us up there?" Dr. West asked.

    "I'm going to use a chunk of the ground to elevate you back to where we fell. Once you get up there backtrack and get out of this hellhole" Alexis answers.

    She kneels down and puts her right hand to the ground to "connect" with it using her elemental powers. The ground below the group of Foundation agents broke apart around them and rose up with them on it leaving them on a round platform no longer connected to the rest of the ground. Alexis then used her power to slowly lift them to the hole they fell through. Once there the Foundation agents got off the platform and began making their way out of the tunnels. Now it was just Sam, Alexis, and Nicole to face whatever SCP-2191 really is.

   "Ready to go?" Sam asked his siblings.

   "Yeah, but before we go, we should deal with them." Alexis says as she points at a group of ghouls approaching from the tree line.

   The creatures snarled and hissed as they slowly moved toward and surrounded the siblings. The siblings showed no fear and stared intently at the group of six as they waited for them to make the first move. However much to the surprise of the siblings, the creatures made no direct attempt to attack.

   Suddenly all three of them felt a presence enter their mind and it spoke. 'Vampires, real vampires. Come, I wish to speak with you.' The Dark feminine voice spoke. 'Follow my children, they will lead you to me. You have questions, I am willing to answer if you are willing to listen.'

    'Who is this?' Sam telepathically asked.

    'And give us one good reason why we shouldn't kick you out of our heads.' Alexis adds.

    'It is true, your powers are far beyond mine, you could kick me out. But you want answers. I am the source of the "heartbeat" and the tremors and I am willing to answer your questions.' The voice answers.

   "Fascinating so it's sentient." Dr. Rights says as she scribbled the information down into her note book. "Perhaps we can find a way to communicate with it. It could enhance our knowledge of SCP-2191."

   "It's never attempted to communicate with us before, it's only ever been hostile to humans." Dr. Bright says. "We may need to rely on the Vampires to communicate with it."

   "But that could come with risk. They don't fully trust us, remember." Dr. Clef adds. He's seen instances of mistrust cause infighting and betrayal.

   "Then we'll have to gain their trust." Dr. Rights says.

    SCP-049 who'd overheard the conversation decided to speak up. "In order to gain trust, you must show it, and the SCP Foundation isn't known for trusting anyone but itself. I know from experience."

   "We don't trust you because you're a homicidal maniac pretending to be a doctor." Dr. Rights says bluntly.

   "I pretend to be nothing." The plague doctor says his voice leaking malicious intent. "Unlike the foundation."

    Dr. Rights, though irritated by the Plague Doctor, decided to drop the conversation. He wasn't worth the migraine.

    'Fine we'll hear you out.' Sam says

    'Then follow my children, they will bring you to me.' The voice says as the creature's begin walking in the direction of the heartbeat with the vampire siblings cautiously following.

    The view shifts to back outside SCP-2191 where Dr. West and her group have just made it back to the surface.

    "Dr. West! What happened down there?! Where are the Siblings?!" One of the foundation researchers asked.

   "We've discovered something big down there and the siblings stayed behind to finish the mission." Dr. West vaguely answered.

   "What?! You left them without supervision?! That's against protocol and dangerous. Why would you do something as stupid as that?!" He questioned.

   "It was going to become too dangerous, we only lost one soldier but if we kept going more would die. From what I've seen the siblings are more than capable of completing this mission on their own." Dr. West explains.

   "With all due respect Dr. West, these soldiers are well disciplined and know the risk." The researcher says.

   "But why sacrifice good troops for a retrieval mission when we can send three Vampires to complete the mission quicker? Sacrifice is necessary at times but this isn't one of those times." Dr. West counters. "Now get me in contact with Alpha-9's overseer, I have to report our discovery."

    "How much trouble do you think she will be in for going against orders?" Iris asked.

    "Depends on how the rest of this mission goes. If everything turns out alright then she may be given leniency. But if it goes horribly wrong she could lose her job." Dr. Clef answers. "Either why she will have to face the consequences of disobeying orders."

   The view shifts back to the vampire siblings who'd arrived at the source of the heartbeat, the massive mass of muscle that Nicole had reported about earlier. Surrounding the heart was a little over a hundred ghouls all of which looked like they're praying to the massive heart. As the siblings approached the Heart, its voice spoke again.

   'Welcome to my home. It is good to finally meet you face to face so to speak.' The voice greets.

   'Well, here we are. What did you want to talk to us about?' Alexis asked.

   'First, what is it you want from me? You would not have willingly come here if you did want something of your own.' The heart asked.

   'A sample of your DNA.' Sam answers.

   'And some answers.' Alexis adds.

   'Very well. I will answer your questions if you answer mine. As for the DNA, you may have some but only if I may have a taste of your blood. These are my terms.' The heart says.

    The vampires seem perplexed by the last request. From what they were told the SCP only feeds on humans and even then they feed on far more than just blood. Why does this thing want vampire blood? This immediately put the siblings on edge.

   'You want our blood? Why?' Sam asked.

   'My master gave me the ability to feed from vampires as vampires do unlike my creations. If I drink the blood of Real Vampires, even just a little, my hunger will be satisfied for many years to come. Otherwise I must rely on my children to bring me nutrients from Humans.' The heart answered.

   'How do we know you aren't lying?' Sam asked.

    'I am many things, a liar isn't one of them. I only wish to survive.' The heart answers.

    'That could be a lie.' Alexis says bluntly.

    'I would not dare to risk earning your anger. I sense you three are a cut above the rest of other vampires. You are anomalies even amongst your own kind. But your human compatriots above are not so powerful. You could forcefully take what you want, but by the time you make it to the surface the humans would already be dead. I have many children throughout the forest above ground.' The heart counters. 'You want answers and so do I. This is the only way we both get what we want.'

   The siblings hesitantly agreed to the heart's terms. 'Very well.' They said simultaneously.

   'Any sign of treachery and we will kill you.' Alexis warns.

   'Very well then. First things first, the exchange. My DNA for a drink of your blood.' The heart says.

   After a brief moment of silence the Heart opened up and a tall feminine figure stepped out. The person stands at least nine feet tall and she very closely resembled the SCP-2191-1 instances though unlike the creature's who have a more masculine look the being that emerged from the heart look more feminine. Unlike the creatures she has dark red eyes, wears a dark black dress, and has long white hair.

   "I am the mother." The woman says as she approaches the vampire siblings her voice was the same one that spoke to them telepathically just a moment ago.

   Dr. Rights was quick to write down every last detail of the monstrous woman on screen. This is such a massive discovery for the Foundation especially given how little they know about SCP-2191. "I wonder if we could get her to speak with us?" Dr. Rights questions.

   "I doubt it. If she wanted to speak with us she would have done so by now." Dr. Clef answers though he was sure Dr. Rights was just thinking out loud.

   "She only seems interested in speaking with vampires. We'll need the siblings if we want her to answer future questions." Dr. Kondraki adds.

   "That is one tall and scary woman. I could be into that." Dr. Bright blurts out only to get strange stares from his colleagues and the SCP's. But they decided not to say anything, they are well aware of how strange, and insane, the immortal researcher.

   "A deal is a deal." The Mother, as she calls herself, says before grabbing her pinky finger and tearing it off without even flinching. She then gestures for the siblings to take it. Sam steps forward and takes the severed finger and puts it in one of his coat pockets. He then rolls up one of his coat sleeves to expose his arm and gestures for her to drink from it. The Mother leans down and gently grabs his arm, her jaw split open and her alien-like tongue emerges from her mouth. The shap mouth of the tongue pierced into his arm and began drinking his blood.

   Sam flinched slightly as it bit down, getting bit by what is basically an mutated leach wasn't a pleasant feeling. 'Is this what it feels like when I feed off something?' Internally questions. Sam was worried about blood loss, any blood she takes he can regenerate as soon as it's gone. He was just glad she wasn't trying to liquidate his organs or whatever it is the other creatures do. It wouldn't kill him; he can heal as fast as the venom dissolves, maybe even faster, but it wouldn't be a pleasant experience either way.

   After a few more moments passed, the Mother retracted her tongue and her mouth returned to normal.

   "Ahh! Vampire blood tastes so rich in power. Just as my master said it would." The Mother says. "Now then, with that out of the way, I believe we have things to discuss. We both have questions. This is how it will work, I will ask a question then you will answer, then you will ask a question and I will answer. This will repeat until all our questions are answered."

   "Very well, ask your first question." Alexis says.

   "It has been many years since I have detected the presence of other vampires. You three are the only three I have been able to sense in so many years. What happened to the other vampires?" The Mother asked.

   "They're gone." Alexis answers.

   "Dead?" The Mother says, asking for clarification.

   "No, just not in this world anymore." Alexis says.

   "Our turn. What are you?" Sam asked.

   "My master referred to me as an artificial Vampire. I am an amalgamation of Vampire and Ghoul." The Mother answers.

   "My turn. Were the vampires able to find a way to reverse ghoulification?" The Mother asked.

    The siblings seemed confused by the question. Why would she care about something like that?

   "As far as I'm aware of, no. Research was conducted but it led nowhere." Sam answers.

   "Our turn. Who is this "master" you keep mentioning." Nicole asked.

   "My creator, a vampire by the name of Dr. Salazar." The Mother answers.

   The eyes of the siblings widen at the mention of that name. "Dr. Salazar is your creator?" Nicole asked in shock.

   "Indeed, from what I remember he's quite the popular researcher amongst the vampires." The Mother answered.

   'She isn't wrong. He was quite popular but for all the wrong reasons.' Sam thinks to himself before asking another question. "What was Salazar's reason for creating you?"

   "I am unsure. He had a fascination with ghouls, perhaps that has something to do with his motives." The Mother answered. "My turn. What became of Dr. Salazar? Did he leave with the rest of the vampires?" She asked.

   "No, he's dead. He conducted very evil experiments on Vampires, Ghouls, and Humans alike. He was killed a long time ago." Alexis answers but leaves out many details.

   "I see. Then I have no more questions." The Mother is saddened by the fate of her creator.

   "We have one more question, can you try and answer this last one for us?" Nicole asked.

   "Go ahead." The Mother sadly answers.

   "Why devour humans?" Nicole asked.

   "Unlike vampires, who can feed off of anything that has blood and thrive off it, I do not have that luxury. I must feed off of humans or vampires." She puts a hand on the head of one of the SCP-2191-1 creatures and looks at it with a mother's affection. "I create my children to bring me nutrients from human prey. Though drinking the blood of a vampire will satisfy my hunger for long periods of time." The Mother explained.

   "I see, then we have no further questions" Nicole says. "Thank you for your time."

   "No, thank you. You may leave peacefully now. My children won't attack you on your way out." The Mother says before turning around and walking back inside the flesh heart which seals itself back up once she had fully entered it.

   Now have a sample of the Mother and answers to some of their questions they turn to leave as the screen fades to black.

   "Well this viewing was jam packed with new information regarding SCP-2191. Dr. Rights, were you able to write down the information given to us?" Dr. Kondraki asked.

    "Yes. But my hands are in so much pain now." She answered. "Do you mind taking over for the next viewing? My hands need a break."

    Dr. Kondraki merely chuckles before answering. "Of course."