𝐛𝐨𝐲𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬

Start from the beginning

He was able to take any pain or anxiousness out of my system whenever he was around me. He had a smile and confidence that made me feel safe in his presence.

Blanking out of my thoughts, a wave pushed under my board while I dangled my feet in the water and day dreamt about the midsummer event that would happen later on in the evening. I laid down on the board with my arms in the water, my feet at the bottom of the surf board. I started paddling against the current towards a large wave that stared to form. I moved my sore arm against the current in order to get ahead to ride the wave. As I pushed myself up on the board, my body collapsed from the pain that had formed in my sore arm. I hit the board, smacking my chin against the hard board and falling into the water. I saw darkness form around me before I kicked my legs to push myself up to the surface. My board was attached to my leg from the small cord that was built into the board. I pushed my hands onto the board, pulling myself back up and wiped my face from the excess salt water. I ran my fingers through my hair and shook my head as I had been in crucial pain that wasn't healing. The bruises on my face hadn't been bad, in fact, was nonetheless comfortable. I had given up on wanting to ride a wave today which left me to start paddling back into shore. I coughed up some of the salt water that pushed down into my nostrils when I fell into the water.

The sun shine hit against my tan skin while I paddled into shore. I watched the beach around me to see some people show up, kicking into my fight or flight mode that the man who attacked my friends and I would show up. Once I reached the shore, I grasped against the edge of the board and picked it up in my opposite arm. I held the board against my body while walking against the white sand. People had brought their dogs on the beach for a morning walk. A family brought their two young toddlers alongside their large dog. They were playing in the sand, waddling against the soft surface with their feet digging into it. The mother had thrown the ball for the dog meanwhile the father had been tickling and messing with his two children. He ran after them and picked them up in a playful mannerism, making them giggle loudly. I smiled to myself as I watched the family become one. It made me wonder about how many kids I would want one day. What my future wedding would look like, what I would be doing after I graduate college. What husband would I get? It made me smile for the near future that was ahead of me now that I was officially an adult.

I walked myself to the area where I had left my belongings. I sat my board down and picked up the towel that was pushed into a small bag that I brought from home. I wrapped the towel around my body, wiping the remaining droplets off of my body before drying my hair off. The toddlers that belonged to the family ran across the white sand and erupted into giggles. Wiping my body down, then slid up a pair of mom overalls that my mother had worn when she was pregnant with me. I brushed my hair out with the detangle brush, allowing my long hair to lay against my back. I pushed my feet into a pair of brown slip on sandals then picked the small bag that my keys, wallet, and phone had sat in. I pushed it up against my damp shoulders. I bent over and picked the board up then placed it against my hip while my arm held up around it. My feet shuffled against the white sand up till I reached the small steps that led up to the parking lot. The sound of waves crashing against the sand filled my ears with comfort from the noise. I pushed my surfboard in the back of my Branco that had the roof taken off. I grasped the keys from my bag and headed to the drivers side of the car.

I pushed the keys into the ignition and pulled out of the parking lot that belonged to the state. I started driving the five minute drive back towards my house that I could have walked if I wanted. The warm breeze blew throughout my salty wet hair while calming music played from the stereo of the old car. I laid my arm against the top of the door while the windows were rolled down due to the top being off. I tapped my fingers against the steering wheel to the beat of the music and thought about what I needed to do before I got ready for midsummers. Passing by other cars that belonged to Kooks that we're preparing themselves for the night. The green willow trees blew throughout the air, swaying with one another in sync from the breeze. Smells of fresh citrus passed me from the small shops that were near my home.