𝐭 𝐡 𝐞 𝐬 𝐭 𝐚 𝐫 𝐬

❝a sky full of stars and he was staring at her❞~ Atticus

a sky full of stars and he was staring at her
~ Atticus

❝a sky full of stars and he was staring at her❞~ Atticus

M I D N I G H T
S U N

In a world where two souls traversed the spectrum of existence, they were akin to the Sun and Midnight, forever bound by their polarity.

t h e s t a r s : p a r t t w o

I felt his presence behind me before I ever saw him. It's the way it always was. I felt him before I ever saw him. The same him I had dreamt of the night before. Before, on nights when sleep came easy, I used to dream. But back then I used to dream of nothing. Until that night. When I first met him. That was the first night I dreamt of something. That was the night I dreamt of hope.

The first time we met was on a night quite like tonight. The sky was dark but clear. All the stars were visible. I didn't think anyone else knew of this spot. Much less him. This small ledge attached to the roof of an abandoned house at the end of the street wasn't someplace people particularly took a liking to. It was old, but it was peaceful. And on a clear night, it was the perfect spot to stargaze. This place gave me a sense of calmness and serenity. It was my spot. So imagine my surprise when he showed up one night. He stood on the roof for a few seconds when he first noticed me there. Almost as if I was the one who wasn't supposed to be here.

Him being here tonight, reminded me of our first encounter. It was brief. A small moment in time. He left as soon as he caught onto the fact that I noticed his presence behind me. But from that very first night on, he stayed. We'd talk about the most mundane things. He'd watch the sun disappear and the stars appear, with me. Some nights, we wouldn't speak at all, just watch the sky and when the night grew colder, we'd leave. He'd walk me home, making sure I got in safe, before crossing the street and disappearing into his own home. And that's where our encounters ended. Until the next night, where we'd repeat the cycle. Until one night he didn't show.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Hi," I said to him, sitting on the ledge looking up at the night sky. The stars were always much clearer to see from up here.

"Hello, love," He replied, as he moves from behind me and joins me up on the ledge. It was my safe place and he knew it. He always knew where to find me, when sleep couldn't find me. The ledge. My safe place. The place where I first met him.

"They're beautiful, aren't they?" I murmur, a small smile on my face as I angle my head away from the stars to look his way, only to find his gaze already on me.

"Beautiful," He said, with a sparkle in those dark eyes, a sparkle that rivals those of the stars in the night sky. "So beautiful, indeed." He adds, running his index finger down the side of my face, with a touch ever so gentle and light it feels almost as if it was a figment of my own imagination. He tilts my chin up towards his own, my face so close to his we're practically sharing the same breath of air, and he smiles. For me. He only ever smiles for me.

"I was talking about the stars." I whisper, looking anywhere but his eyes. The intensity of his gaze on my face made my skin warm.

"As was I."

Something in his voice told me he most definitely was not talking about the stars.

Since he'd stepped out onto the ledge not once had he looked up at the midnight sky, his focus was on me.  I brought my eyes to his, our eyes colliding as a moment of realisation washed over me. Only he could make me feel this way-small but significant. Important. Beautiful. Wanted. Only he was able to bring this light into my heart, this warm feeling in my chest. And I knew, in that moment, that I would never meet another like him ever again.