Cathy Brings It On!

Start from the beginning

Laquifa walked in, playing her song. We all cheered in excitement. She started dancing and moving as we laughed. She finished by falling to the ground, and everyone cheered and clapped.

"Well, hi, everyone, my name is Shangela. Today Miss Abby invited me in here to tell you guys a little bit about performance art, about being sickening, and about really working it when you're out there, right? Maybe I can teach you guys the death drop," she started, and we gasped. "The death drop really is safe. You're not falling on your back. But okay, so here we go."

She started singing the music for the group dance, showing us the death drop.

"Just like that, and that's the move. Okay?" Shangela asked, and we clapped. "So, Nia, on the ending, we're going to put that trick in there, okay, and let me tell you something. The crowd is going to go wild. So you'll come up and go, do your hip, hip, hip, hip, and then wipe. And then, death drop. Pow." she attempted the death drop.

"Yes. Now, instead of falling just here first and then laying, try just releasing, going straight back. Okay? They're gonna say, 'Oh, my Lord, what did she do?' You feel good? You're ready, I know you're ready," Shangela spoke, giving Nia a high five.

-

After Shangela left, they continued working on the group number. I was bored out of my mind.

"Paige, point your opposite foot. Faces!" Miss Abby yelled.

"Nia, I already told you about that dégagé," Gia spoke. A phone started ringing, and Miss Abby left the studio. I looked over at Kenzie who just shrugged.

"Hey, Gia, I need you to do something out here," Miss Abby said, coming back in the room for a minute before leaving again. The moms seemed just as confused as we were.

-

Kelly and Paige left shortly after, I think they were working with another choreographer.

Maddie was having her solo rehearsal. Kenzie, Nia and I were practicing in the corner.

Chloe was next. I watched in amazement as Nia did her homework. Wow.

"What is that?" I asked, sitting down next to her. She lifted her head up from the paper.

"It's math homework. Word problems," she explained, showing me all of her work. There's so much!

"Wow, that's a lot more than what I do. I write letters and colour," I told her, and she chuckled.

"Wanna try it?" Nia questioned, handing me the pencil. I took the paper and started reading the question.

Lila and Peter both have a basket of apples. Lila has 14 apples, and Peter has 22 apples. How many apples do they have in total?

"No way," I stated, sliding the paper back over to her. "Too hard."

She laughed, taking the pencil out of my grasp.

"Don't worry, one day you'll learn how to do it. Maybe you'll be as smart as me," Nia teased, and I giggled.

Miss Abby sat on the couch with the moms after Chloe's rehearsal. I followed, curious as to what she was going to say.

"I'm going to have to leave right after the competition," Miss Abby told us.

"Because of your mom?" Christi asked. Chloe was laying in her lap.

"Yeah," she replied.

"Is she okay?" Christi questioned. "Is she doing okay?"

"No, she's in the hospital, she has a blockage," Miss Abby explained. Christi made a face. "They haven't given her anything to eat, she hasn't eaten in four days."