25: Jealous or Nah?

Ever since that day, she hadn't seen him anymore. She had avoided all costs of seeing him because she couldn't trust hersef much around him.She might hurt him, kill him, anything is possible. She didn't want to be among the women they judge at the court, and so she resorted to this hide and seek game, and it was the most peaceful phase of her life. And surprisingly he made it possible and easy for her, always avoiding the paths that will make them meet. She came back home a few minutes earlier than him, to avoid looking at his face and he was always back late, which she didn't mind about.

And the girl he had brought, she hadn't seen her again since the first day and she wasn't bothered. Even though she knew the girl lived in the house, probably in the maids chamber. Today, she got back home early because she had to attend the kamu; a tradition event of Jamila's wedding, she couldn't believe time had moved so past and tomorrow, being Friday, Jamila will be hitched. She was so happy even though they both didn't have enough time on their fingertips.

She rushed into the house and there, she met that girl sitting on the carpet in the living room. She stopped right in track and flashed a look that she was sure made her intestines churned. "What are you doing here?" It was a single sentence, housing a few words, but it was able to make her scared. She looked at Fatima Zarah, terrified.

"Abida asked me to follow her in so I could help her with some works," she quivered, and Fatima Zarah wondered who Abida was. She hadn't being active in matters pertaning the house, all she did was ate, read and sleep.

She didn't spare her a glance when she walked away to her room and as much as her bed looked inviting, she knew she had to leave for Jamila's kamu, which she was already late to. But one thing she prayed was, there was no african time. She wanted to call him, no, leave a text for him at home because she still didn't have his number that she would leave for the kamu, but a part of her mind was against it. She got ready into her dress, had a soft makeup on before she rushed outside, not minding the look the girl was flashing her. She didn't even know her name.

When she got there, Jamila had looked her most beautiful self, and Fatima Zarah embraced her to her chest and smiled widely at her. "You look so lovely, Jamila. I'm so happy for you, Congratulations." She softly kissed her cheeks softly and broke apart from her, smiling genuinely.

"I thought you'd come together with him?" Jamila asked with a teasing smile, even though she wasn't totally joking.

"Come with who? Have I given birth yet that I'm expected to walk around town with m baby cradled to my chest?" She asked sarcastically and that made Jamila laughed, not knowing when she did. Fatima Zarah will forever know the right reply to every question being asked and every statement lazily thrown at her.

"I mean your husband, the prince, our very own Acp, you know what I mean, Fatima Zarah." She glared at her and walked back to the chairs and tables provided for those attending the wedding, totally ignoring the teasing stares Jamila had been sending her way. She had something else to take care of.

She was playing the game that had now became her obsession. Whenever she wasn't at court, wasn't studying or sleeping, she played her game to avoid the raging storm of her thoughts. Even while she was eating, because that seemed to be her favorite time to think. Randomly, she felt of whizz of his perfume, but she knew it could never be him. She ducked her head even more, not entertained by the beats of the music playing in every corner of the hall.

Someone sat beside her, and that someone had the perfume she felt a few minutes ago, but she didn't bother. Because whoever that someone was, he must surely be a man, she could sight his shoes and the colour of his shadda. She winced internally and looked up to meet his gaze, and behold, it was Al-mustapha. She wasn't shocked, seeing him together with one of the groom's friend, she knew he was the groom's friend too. But she thought he didn't attend weddings? She mused to herself, took her eyes off from him and took her handbag before she stood.