Chapter 6

Earth date: 01/04/2012, 18:20

It was supposed to be an incomplex mission. Boat out to the apportionment of the river where the tracking robot was distinguishing the Hautik as being in, subdue it and get it out of the water and back to where it came from.

We armored up and teleported where Mr. Cole told us to go.We were consorted by Will, who was wearing a onyx winter coat and carrying a machine gun. We were consorted by him to a deserted area of the Canadian side of the Detroit River. 

"So, where's the boat?" Margaret canvassed curiously.

"Jay's holding it," Will resolved casually. He nodded in the direction of Jay. A nondescript obsidian cube was being held by him.

"Didn't know we were going to be riding in style," Frazz snarked sarcastically.

Will smirked sardonically. "Toss it in the water, Jay."

Jay went to the edge of the water, lifted the cube over his head, and bunted the cube into the water. It caromed off rocks in the shallows hard enough to send up a spark, skipped off of them, and sank. 

A few seconds later, the hyperborean water began to be vexed by something. As I watched on, a boat was formed from seemingly nothing, bobbing on the waves it had made.

"Nanobots?" Joey said questioningly. Will nodded yes.

"Frazz, be a dear and make us a w alkway," Will ordered. Frazz nodded, and stairs were procreated from coruscating verdigris light. A procumbent board of energy was extended over the water to the boat. 

"All aboard!" Frazz said cheerfully and walked onto the boat.

I was the last to board. I took a long look at the water beating against the boat and the shore before reluctantly climbing the stairs and crossing the walkway to the boat.

Once everyone was on board, Will turned on the boat and commenced driving. A GPS display was in the dashboard, and Will glanced at it as he drove. There was a large green dot that we were geting closer and closer to. 

He had been driving about ten minutes when popping sounds rolled across the water.

"What was that?" I asked.

"If it's what I think it is, trouble," Will grimaced grimly. 

I heard a different soundL: motors. This was followed by people whooping and yelling, then more of the popping sounds. Then, two boats sped by us, on either side. The boat on the left was brightly lit, and I could see cans of alcohol cluthced in the mittened hands of everyone on board. The one on the right was all men in camouflage winter jackets. Most of them were wearing sunglasses, all of them had machine guns, and most of them were looking down into the water. As I watched, two of the men shot into the water, and the sound of gunfire carried across the water.

"The f*ck are they doing?" Frazz asked angrily.

"Trying to get eaten," Max deadpanned sarcastically.

"Hey a*sholes!" Frazz yelled loudly. "River is closed today! Man-eating alien in the water! Get lost!"

The response he received was a cannonade of gunfire into the air. I ducked instinctively.