chapter 6: the marriage

Start from the beginning

________________________________

Arya:

Jaanvi was visibly shaking. She had her hands fisted in her saree to hide her tremors. But I still feel her heart racing a mile a minute from my position. Her breaths came out as uneven puffs as she stared intently at the fire glowing in front of us. I guess she's not used to receive this much attention.
Earlier, she had come in to the room, with her elegant gracefulness and leaving me spellbound. She was wearing a beautiful blue bridal saree. My favourite colour.

 My favourite colour

(Jaanvi's saree)

(Arya's outfit)

Those hazelnut eyes had stared into mine so vividly as she approached the stage with a beautiful smile on her face. She looked like an Indian queen ascending her throne. She had looked confident then, but now she looks like she was on the verge of passing out. I really hope she doesn't.
But in the off case, it would be really helpful in stopping the marriage. I don't know why, but the need to ease her anxiety rose strong in my mind. I told myself that it's only because I don't want to look like an idiot whose bride passed out during their wedding.
Tentatively I reached for her hands and interlaced our fingers, giving them a light squeeze. Jaanvi's head whipped up and she stared at me with wide eyes. I leaned down close and whispered in her ear
"Shh. It's okay. Just breathe"

her lips rolled between her teeth as she took in deep breaths. There was a slight tremble in her hands but she looked calm for the most part. She squeezed my hand back in gratitude. Her anxiety had visibly eased. I let go of her hands and straightened, facing the room. Her eyes looked dissapointed before she lowered them to her lap, staring at her hands.
My hands tingled at the loss of her warmth but I ignored it. I had been so angry at jaanvi earlier, I thought I can direct my anger towards her because if it isn't for her, I wouldn't be sitting in this mandap, forced into a marriage i didn't want. But then, amidst the haze came a touch of reason. No matter how hard I try to convince myself, it was never her fault. She was nothing but innocent and hopeful. Guilt started to weigh heavy on my shoulders, because I'm conciously going to rob her of the life she deserves by not confessing her the truth. I know this is so unfair to her, but I can't bring myself to do it. Not at the cost of my father's life. I gravely hope she'll forgive me for it but it sounded stupid even to my ears.
The priest was chanting some holy mantras that would make our married life prosper and bless us to live in harmony but it all seemed pointless to me. Jaanvi and I are never going to be a real couple. It will never work between us.
The priest then asked us to walk seven rounds around the holy fire and i stood up and opened my hands to jaanvi. She looked at me almost shyly as she took it. Her eyes were full of hope and happiness. I can't even look into her eyes as guilt pressed heavy on me, instead I chose to look around the room full of family members cheering for us. Face set into an impassive mask, I walked the first round, softly tugging jaanvi behind me as she followed. It felt like an eternity had passed, every step I took was heavy with regret and guilt before the seven rounds were over and it was time for me to tie the mangalsutra around her neck. Everyone was looking at me expectantly as the Mangalsutra was passed on to my hands. I hesitated for a moment before bringing the threads around Jaanvi's neck and tying the first knot. It signified respect for the bond that tied us together. The second knot. Commitment. And then the third,
Love.
I knew I couldn't give jaanvi two of the three things her mangalsutra represented. I felt like a cheat for promising her something I'd never be able to give her. With dread curling inside my stomach I finished the final knot, letting the mangalsutra to dangle around her neck. Jaanvi looked up, a smile graced her lips as she stared at me lovingly. And I knew it then, I can't keep this secret any longer. I'm about to break her heart, sooner or later. I might as well do it now before I cause too much damage.

_________________________

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Welcome back guys.
Please vote for me if you liked this. Will be back soon with next chapter.
Bye!!