28| arcane•

Começar do início

I swung away from him, closed my eyes, and began moving toward the exit doors. Amidst the birds chirping outside the large pool room, I heard the sound of splashing water and reckoned that he had gotten back inside. But immediately following that, was his breathy voice resonating in the cold air.

"Ugh! Amelia!"

I spun around quickly, finding him in the middle of the pool, tightly clutching his chest as his face twisted in pain. He was breathing rashly through his nose, red, desperate eyes calling out to me. "I...can't..."

My eyes widened. "Khalil!" I ran towards him, my socks slapping against the hard deck, my heart pounding fast, and without waiting a second, I climbed down into the water, the ends of my dress floating on top of it. I reached out for his arm, concern marring my features as I gripped his chin.

"Breathe, Khalil..." My eyes burned, tears threatening to spill over the corners. "Please breathe."

He sucked a harsh breath in, then one out, and to my absolute horror, he started grinning, raising one of his dark eyebrows in my direction. He bit on his dripping lip while I blinked my eyes in confusion.

Then realisation slowly dawned upon me, and I scrunched my face in bewilderment. "Did...Did you just trick me, Khalil?"

He smiled, then chuckled, wiping his mouth with a knuckle. "Mm."

My face loosened until it coiled into anger, and I tilted my head, my nostrils flaring. "Why would you do that? Do you know how worried I was?" I shoved away from him, livid tears frothing within my eyes. "What's wrong with you? You're a real idiot!"

I turned away to get out when he gripped my arms and pulled me back, pushing my back against the wall of the pool. I was shivering, my cream dress clinging to my body. I breathed heavily as he stared at me, his chest lifting and falling. Shiny glimmers from the pool reflected on his face, and he swallowed, his eyes melting as he said:

"I am sorry. I was just joking..."

"Well, that was not funny. Do you like playing with my feelings?"

"No. I...I just wanted to see if you'd care for me."

I scoffed. "Well, you've got your answer. You know, you really can be plain immature. Even Kanan is more mature than you. Grow up, Khalil."

His eyes darkened completely and he pressed his palm on the wall beside my head. "What?"

"I said...Kanan is far more mature than—"

"Enough. I heard you the first time!"

I smacked his hand off. "Then why ask again? You're really stupid."

He gripped my neck and hauled me close to his lips, his eyes resembling coal as he stared down at my mouth. "Have you forgotten what happened the last time you called me an idiot?"

"Go ahead. Kiss me. As if you haven't already done that..." I whispered.

I was frustrated that he didn't feel the way I did, I was sure of it. He just wanted me to protect him from the bloody darkness and that was it.

His forehead puckered, and for a second, he appeared vulnerable. A look he hardly wore. "What do you mean by that?"

I glared at him, shivering from the cold.

"You make it sound like..." His jaw flexed under his skin. "Like you didn't like it when I kissed you."

"I didn't." I said, "Sometimes I wish...you were a bit more like Kanan. Or maybe Keegan..."

"Amelia!" He dropped his gaze from me, the veins standing in his neck. And this time, he genuinely looked like he was about to have a panic attack. He hated the comparison. But why did he hate it so much?