Bilbo tried his best to keep up with the Dwarves as they marched through the desolate land out of Mordor. After a good amount of time, he noticed that they were being trailed by Thranduil's army of Elves, and beyond them the armies of Men. When Óin noticed his stares, he began to explain how they managed to create an army in so little time.

"We each used a portion of our reward from the expedition to hire the Men," the healer said, ignoring his look of shock with the practiced ease that came with being an older sibling. "Glóin was able to manage it so we didn't end up emptying Erebor's treasury with their demands. We also used Gandalf to intimidate them into moving as quickly as possible. That was fun to watch. The old bastard can be scary when he wants to be."

"What about Thranduil? Did you pay him too?"

"No," answered Dwalin, joining the conversation. "He joined us without requesting a reward. I think your Elf had something to do with it. When we found her and the bear, he was pissed. Never saw an Elf get so mad in my life."

"I never thought that statue could even feel anger," Óin admitted, scratching at his beard. "Good thing his son was there to calm him down."

He sighed and nodded. "I believe that. Thranduil may hate outsiders but he also fiercely loves his people. Seeing Tauriel—an Elf that he is supposed to protect—badly injured must have been infuriating."

"Aye. He's a slimy old snake, but he does seem to keep his people in mind," Dwalin granted, sniffing.

"He must be very angry at me for dragging her along," he mused, rubbing his forehead with two fingers. "I don't know how I'm going to face him after all of this."

"You don't have to see him if you don't want to," Óin reassured, patting his arm. "You don't have to see anyone you don't like."

"I like Thranduil just fine. It is his unpredictable nature I don't care for."

"Well, you don't have to worry about that either. You're not leaving our sight for the next century," Dwalin muttered.

"Was that your subtle way of implying that you're going to keep me locked up in Erebor?" he joked, raising his eyebrows.

Óin and Dwalin snorted in unison.

"What part of our actions seemed subtle to you?" the healer commented.

Bilbo blinked. "What?"

"You're going back to Erebor with us where you're going to marry Thorin and stay where we can protect you," Óin half-ordered, rolling his eyes. "Mahâl only knows what other types of mischief you'll get into if left alone…"

"It's true. We really can't leave you alone. When you are, you go and get yourself abducted and soul bonded to ancient evils," Dwalin added, nodding thoughtfully.

Bilbo didn't know what to say to that. He felt torn between irritation at their lack of trust in his ability to stay alive, and a deep fondness that they cared so much for him. Finally he decided to go with fondness because he really had put them all through enough with his adventure to Mordor.

"I still need to return to the Shire so my relatives know I'm not dead," he commented. "I also have to take care of my house and possessions."