That was, until he met Bilbo Baggins.

It was not love at first sight. In fact, at first, he found the Hobbit odd and a bit suspicious with his easy attitude. He was also rather annoying too when he questioned Thorin's every word without fear. But the Hobbit could hold his own and never whined, so he couldn't complain. He honestly didn't give the burglar much of his attention until the troll incident where he declared that he would rather die than risk Fíli.

That was... interesting.

It didn't exactly endear him to the Hobbit, but Thorin could respect someone who protected his sister's sons. He didn't know why the little burglar cared but he wouldn't question his intentions. As long as he didn't go back on his word, then what did Thorin care what the Hobbit did? He still didn't give Baggins much thought though he was appreciative when he saved Fíli (again) from Azog. He was even willing to pay such a debt back dutifully and could not understand why the Hobbit resisted his offer.

But everything changed when Baggins punched him in the river.

The Hobbit had been so furious, so hurt by his words that Thorin couldn't help but feel guilty. He knew he wasn't the most pleasant of Dwarves around, but he didn't like to intentionally hurt someone who had done him no harm. The burglar had accepted his apology even though he made Thorin promise not to seek revenge on Thranduil. Feeling guilty and a bit ashamed, he had agreed easily enough to the promise. He even found himself granting the burglar—Bilbo—permission to call him by his first name.

After that, Thorin found himself watching Bilbo. He watched the way the Hobbit never seemed fazed by whatever they encountered, and never lost his composure even when angry. He watched Bilbo fret and worry over the others to a rather alarming degree, and how he easily placed himself in danger for them. He watched the burglar ask the others questions, and saw how intently he listened to their stories as if he honestly cared. He marveled over Bilbo's bravery and how he boldly confronted even Thranduil despite the great harm the Elf could bring upon him. He even watched how much the small Hobbit seemed to eat throughout the day and wondered where he put it all.

But mostly, Thorin watched the way the sun made the gold strands in his brown hair light up. He counted the freckles on his cheeks and studied the arch of his cheekbones. He pondered over the exact shade of brown Bilbo's eyes were, and marveled over how red his lips grew when he bit them. He memorized the melody of his laugher and traced the teasing curve of his smile in his mind.

Then, eventually, he began to wonder what it would be like to be the cause of those smiles.

Thorin had known love, but he had never known a love quite like this. It consumed his every thought and dream. He found himself itching to know everything about Bilbo; from the good to the bad and even the boring bits in between that didn't really matter. He wanted to be the reason for the Hobbit's laughter and wanted to comfort him when he cried. He wanted to give Bilbo everything he ever wanted and burned to protect him from everything horrible and ugly in the world. He wanted to run his fingers through those wild curls and trace the trail of freckles with his lips. He wanted to see his bead braided into Bilbo's hair and wanted to erase every memory of that dead fool from the Hobbit's heart.

Thorin wanted many things in his life—to reclaim Erebor; justice for his family; revenge against Smaug and Thranduil; safety and security for his people—but he could honestly say that he never wanted anything quite as much as he wanted Bilbo Baggin's heart.

~*~

"You're cheating."

"I am not. You just suck at cards."

"No, I agree with him. You're cheating."

"Lies, all lies."

"If I quit now do I get any of my money back?"