Chapter 34 (In My Bones)

Start from the beginning

"Something easily taken care of, right?" she snapped, eyes darkening. "Nothing a blind-sided attack wouldn't fix?"

"What are you talking about?" Tahoma demanded as Keone hung his head in shame.

"Renata?" Rocio asked.

"Shut up!" Renata jumped up from her seat. "I can't think. This place is too small. You're all looking at me, treating me like I'm him, but I'm not, I'm just me." She heaved out heavy breaths, on the brink of hyperventilating.

Tahoma didn't know what to say and knew nothing wouldn't comfort her. Everyone shrunk back as the room darkened just slightly, and it was because of her—no one dared point it out.

When no one responded, she exploded with a frustrated noise and ran out of the room.

Tahoma was determined to not let her be alone, but was stopped by the familiar touch of his mother's hand. He frowned as he turned to look at her. She gave a sweet, understanding smile. "Don't hover, son, it won't do her any good. You'll be there when she needs it." Her eyes flitted toward Rocio and Diamond who seemed equally conflicted on what to do. "Though, she may need a sister...or a best friend."

Tahoma couldn't help himself as he scowled at the two women, "don't fuck this up, or you'll be answering to me."

Diamond's face was bright red while Rocio was slightly more defiant and less shameful. "You so easily choose sides."

Tahoma loved Rocio dearly, and at the end of it all, they would be fine, but he knew in his heart he needed to be there for Renata during these dire hours. "Consideirng her friends are dropping like flies," he bit out, "it's only fair she has one ally."

"Tahoma–" Nirvi began to chastise.

"No, he's right," Rocio conceded. Her remourseful eyes returned to him. "You're right."

"Then make it right," Nirvi implored.Diamond's voice was raspy from crying. "She hates us. Why would she bother to listen?"

Tahoma wished he had his mother's understanding as she explained, "uncertain times are upon us. Do what you must before it is too late. Even if she shuts you away, it will hurt less for her if you at least try."

Diamond's dark gaze brightened with a tiny glimmer of hope. Her eyes shifted toward her accomplice. "I'll go."

Rocio looked ready to object. "You sure?"

Diamond looked around the room and nodded. Her blue buzzcut was especially bright beneath the light. "Yes, I need to."

"Good luck," Keone came out of nowhere with, "she can hold a mean grudge." Everyone glared at him in response, and he threw his hands up in surrender.

Renata

She sat in a random dark corner of the bunker and cried, though it turned into uneven breath sooner than she anticipated. Maybe it was because she was so stuck in her head.

Her worst fears were confirmed. It was going to come down to her or him, and she just didn't know if she had the will to fight for her own life.

But then would she be damning the world to the hellish landscape that it was at this moment? Everyone in this bunker had the privilege to be shielded from what was going on outside. People were dying. Civilization was slowly but surely dying. And there was a possibilty that Renata could do something about it.