4: The Bloody Almighty

Crowley

"I'm Aziraphale."

Slightly ridiculously so, the demon almost breathed a sigh of relief as he answered. "Crowley. It's Crowley."

The angel beside him only nodded in acknowledgement, before pressing his lips together, and continuing almost casually. "You know, for a demon, you're not... Horrible."

"What makes you say that?"

"Well..." He folded his hands neatly infront of him. Seemingly unaffected by the other's scowl, and the demon almost melted for some reason. "You haven't discorporated or burned me with Hellfire just yet."

"Never say never." He grinned.

The angel smiled nervously.

Fuck, alright. He should probably say something back now. "I guess you aren't too bad yourself, angel."

Aziraphale looked up, pausing for a moment. Then his face broke, gentle blue eyes lit up as he smiled. As he beamed. Metaphorically. It would've probably hurt Crowley if he actually was beaming with holy light. They stared at each other. The holy being looking at him with delighted and glad confusion. As if nobody had ever told him that before. Though Crowley knew this was probably wrong, it didn't matter to him. For suddenly, he wanted nothing more in the world than to keep that very smile on that particular face.

"You're nicer than most demons." He continued. "I mean- I'm speculating- I haven't had a chat with many other demons."

"You're definitely nicer than any other angel I've ever met."

He shrugged. "I'm an angel, it's in the job description."

"Hmm. Other ones aren't doing their job so well then." Crowley noted.

The angel didn't respond, and there was another moment of silence for the two. Crowley still kept his wing tucked behind the angel's back, but it was almost frozen, afraid that if he startled the celestial being, he would move away. Yelling and the sound of clanging metal from outside filled the quiet library, their own voices no longer providing a distraction. The demon frowned. All of the humans' creations over the past centuries were being destroyed now. He was actually relieved when the angel spoke again.

"Crowley?"

"Hmm?"

"Did you ever get to be amongst the humans for long?"

"No." Crowley replied, his response the same hushed whisper. "I was on earth once, a long time ago. Haven't been up here for long since then."

"You're Crawly, aren't you? The Serpent of Eden?"

"What gave it away?"

The angel chuckled. "Your eyes."

"Oh, right." He smiled a bit, brining his hands up to his face. "Sunglasses would probably do me some good." He had heard that humans had them, and that they were quite stylish.

Aziraphale shook his head. "To hide your eyes? No, I quite like them."

Crowley threw his head back in an almost mocking laugh. He had never heard that about his eyes. About him in general. Demons weren't ones for compliments. No one had ever said anything good about him. It also made a warm feeling go off in his chest. He quite liked it, truth be told.

"I'm serious!" Aziraphale replied with a large, genuine, smile.

Crowley grinned. "I-"

A crashing sound from outside. The sound snapped Crowley's mouth shut again. But it also shook the building, so much so that a few books fell from the shelves. Their careless joy ceased and Crowley felt a hand grab his, and in response, the demon wrapped his wing tighter around the angel. The shaking stopped, but their embrace most certainly did not. Did the angel also feel his heart racing?