"Wow," Ori said, staring up at the buildings with round eyes. "How did they do that? I never heard of houses on water before."

"The town is held up on wooden pillars sunk into the bed of the lake," Bilbo explained, gesturing to the water around them.

Behind them, Glóin snorted. "Foolish idea. One day those pillars will collapse from water damage and the whole city will fall with it."

Ori paled at the idea and even Bilbo could help but shudder at the image that sprung to mind. "Glóin, please don't speak of that. Especially since we are currently in the town."

The Dwarf shrugged, looking unrepentant. "I'm just calling it as I see it."

"Then kindly call it away from my brother," Dori snapped from further back.

Glóin simply rolled his eyes in return.

The two Men led the Company through the streets without fail. Occasionally they would glance behind at the group before turning back and whispering something to one another. Bilbo wondered if they were eyeing up their weapons, or simply judging their clothes. He couldn't be sure from his spot in line.

Around them, the Men and Women of Lake-town stopped to stare at them with mixed reactions. Some looked surprised or excited while others looked weary and suspicious. He didn't begrudge them for their looks. They were about to bring an angry dragon down on their heads after all.

Eventually they came to a familiar building that housed the Master of Lake-town. He couldn't say he was looking forward to meeting the greedy Man again, but they couldn't avoid him. They would need his permission if they wanted a chance to rest and restock their supplies. As the Men walked up the wooden steps to the door, Bilbo hurried to Thorin's side in order to stall what he knew was coming.

"Please don't make a dramatic entrance when they open the doors," the Hobbit asked softly.

"Why not? It's rather fun shocking them," the king replied without looking at him.

"And it may also get us thrown out," he retorted, frowning. "Can't you just talk to the lord of this place nicely? Without making a scene that may get us banned forever more?"

Thorin sighed and finally looked at him. "I can't promise the 'nice' bit, but I won't announce my presence. Yet."

Bilbo relaxed as they finally stood before the doors. "Thank you."

"Hmp. I liked it better when I was feared," the Dwarf grumbled.

"I was never afraid of you," he reminded.

Thorin's lips twitched. "I know."

Then the doors were thrown open and they were bathed in light.

He squinted through the sudden brightness and took in the large chamber before him. Tables stretched from the door to the other side of the room and were filled with food and folk. At the end of the chamber, he spotted the piggy Master of Lake-town seated in his great chair. At the slam of the doors opening, all attention was turned on them.

"What is the meaning of this?" demanded the Master of Lake-town as he slipped out of his seat.

"Master, these Dwarves have come to speak to you," said the smarter guard. He gestured to Thorin and added, "This one was going on about a kingdom to claim or something."

Thorin took that as his cue to step forward and introduce himself. "I am Thorin Oakenshield, son of Thráin, son of Thrór, and we are the Dwarves of Erebor!"

There was a moment of silence before chaos erupted. Bilbo flinched at the loud of pitch of many voices talking and shouting at once. He watched as the Master hurried over to them while waving to his guests to calm down. When he reached them, he quickly gestured for the guards and pointed to a door off to the side.