Chapter 1: Knew You From the Start

Start from the beginning

"I, I just moved here to be with my with son, but my apartment isn't ready until tomorrow and he's working right now. I...didn't want to bother him when he's already going through so much trouble to help me."

You smile, beyond happy you stopped and made the time to help her after hearing her story. "It's no problem, ma'am. I'm happy to help so you don't have to worry." You grab two of the duffle bags and hoist them up. "I'm going to move these over to the elevator real quick and then I'll come back for the other two, okay?"

The old lady nods and you walk together over to the silver metal doors. Once you make it there, you click the up button before running back to get the other two bags where they sit off to the side in the lobby. When you finally make it back to the woman, the elevator dings and you both walk through the doorway with the bags you're holding, setting them down in the corner.

Just as you rush back out to grab the last two duffles, three decently tall men clad in masks walk up. You nearly bump into one of them, the one wearing a baseball hat, whereas the other two simply have the hoods of their hoodies pulled up over their heads.

All three sport oversized sweaters, black jeans, and leather boots, but from the little you can see, their skin is a creamy brown and their dark hair contrasts it beautifully. Clean and fashionable, but nothing fancy.

"Ah." You stumble back a step, giving a small laugh in hopes of dissolving some of the awkwardness as all three men stop short. "I­-I'm sorry, I wasn't watching where I was going. My bad."

The one in the hat laughs heartily, his voice gentle. Musical almost. "Nah, it's my fault. We were rushing. No worries." He glances down at the duffle bags at your feet. "Do you need help?"

The other men with him walk into the elevator and you stoop to scoop up the bags. "I think I got them if you can keep the door open for me?"

He nods and quickly moves to hold his arm in front of the elevator door while you lug the surprisingly heavy bags inside and place them on top of the others already sitting in the corner.

"Wow." You look at one of the hooded men, his eyes on you now too. "You brought a lot of suitcases. Vacationing for a while?"

You shake your head as you shrug out of your thick jacket. It's way too hot to be wearing it right now. "They're not mine. They're hers." You nod respectfully at the old woman standing quietly in the corner as you wrap the jacket around your waist. "What floor are you ma'am?

"Third."

Wordlessly, the stockier man with the hat steps forward to press the button for the third floor as well as the fourth. The short ride up is quiet, save for the tinny dings of the elevator. Awkward almost. But it's over as quick as it started and the doors open up to the splay of third floor hotel rooms.

The old woman slowly shuffles out first and you hoist two bags, following her into the hall. "If you could hold-" you start to ask the man in the cap as you pass by, but him and one of the hooded men are already stepping forward toward the two bags left in the corner and they join you in the hall. "Please. Let us help you both take the bags instead. If that's okay?"

You smile, happy to see there are still good people in the world despite what you'd seen today. "That would be great, thank you." The two nod to the other hooded man still in the elevator and he nods back, letting the door close between them.

"What room ma'am?" you ask, readjusting your grip. Truthfully, your shoulders are aching already and you haven't been holding the bags long at all. Those things are obnoxiously heavy, but you simply grin and bear it. Better you than her.

"310." The woman waddles forward with her rolling luggage, looking at the room numbers on the wall. "To the left it seems."

You all start to follow after her as she leads the way, but as the man with the hat passes you, he extends a hand toward one of your duffle bags. "Can I?"