Prologue

NOTE: This is not my main project by any means, it is merely for fun and not my best work. I will not be updating regularly past the chapters I've already written. Also, as this is fanfiction, I will be taking some liberties with the 'Minecraft' world, so don't expect everything to be so-so.

Other than that, enjoy!

★━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━★

A night sky full of glistening stars and the crescent moon gleaming down through wispy clouds was the only thing that lit your way as you walked the street, blinded in total by a powerful mixture of fury and dejection to do a single thing other than keep moving forward.

The chilly breeze nipped at your nose and fingertips and you wrapped your arms around yourself in response as you became lost in thought. She didn't love you. She really didn't love you. It was painful enough to assume, but it was always just that; an assumption. To hear her actually admit it for herself hurt like no stab wound ever could.

Frosty tears slipped down your cheeks as you cried in the silent night, pivoting your body and going down the path that led into the forest you had visited alone so many times in the past. The trees were barren, the leaves fallen from their branches many weeks prior where they landed on the ground, leisurely turning brown and dead and stiff.

You heard them crunch under your feet, the sound deafening in the hushed woods. Your lips quivered as you took an unfamiliar turn, ultimately leaving the trail behind and avoiding the trees that loomed high above you. The occasional brush slapped your face and arms, leaving small scratches on your skin that stung when the bitter wind howled.

Watery eyes and dim lighting made it difficult to see where you were going, and you soon discovered this when your foot caught on a stray root that was sticking out of the ground, making you trip and release a pained grunt as you fell forward and collided harshly with the dry, arid dirt.

Your muscles began to ache, and this seemed to be the breaking point for you, as you stuffed your head in your arms and lay on the ground, crying as the situation sunk in fully. Who were you kidding? You were stupid to believe that she thought any more of you than a pest.

Why else would she have treated you the way she did? If she loved you at all she'd have offered respect. Affection, kindness. But she didn't. And she never would.

You weren't sure how long you lay there, sobbing and contemplating your unfortunate reality. Eventually, however, you stopped and went quiet, sitting up and leaning against a large rock.

You observed the area for the first time, taking in the solitude of the many plants—now dead—that surrounded you. The moon was high ascended by this point, shining through the empty branches of the trees and faintly reflecting off of your h/c hair.

Despite the cold that crept around you, your face was warm and your eyes puffy and swollen. The tears that had stopped flowing left wet trails down your cheeks, quickly drying thanks to the chilly air.

You sat, your legs curled up tightly against your chest and your arms wrapped around them to preserve some heat. You listened for any sign of life around you; the buzzing of a bee, the haunting cries of a coyote, or the happy chitters of a squirrel searching for one final acorn, but there was nothing besides the shaky, soft breaths consistently drifting from your mouth.

You rested your head on your knees, staring ahead into the forest, studying how the trees twisted and shaped according to what was around them. You saw a few blades of grass about four feet from you, now brown, and in the center was a single shriveled flower, refusing to die and holding onto its life as long as it could.

It still held enough of a pale blue color that you could tell it used to be a more vibrant shade, and the shape of its petals was round and attractive, even in its wilting state.

You gazed at it for several minutes, though you were no longer paying attention. Instead, you found yourself astray in an endless flurry of daunting thoughts for the third time that night, that was until a blinding light obscured your vision and you shut your eyes instinctively to protect them from the unwelcome force.

Just as suddenly as it was there, it vanished, leaving you slightly confused as to what it possibly could have been. Headlights from a car? Surely not. You were a good way away from the road, and if someone were driving down the trail you took originally you would hear its engine, or at least the crunching of wheels when they rolled over sticks and leaves.

Your eyes fluttered open cautiously, and you glanced around, almost instantly seeing the source. In front of you, to the side of a fairly large tree, was what one could have described as a 'portal'.

Its edges were smooth and clean, being crafted of what appeared to be a dark oak and shaped into a rectangle. In its center was an iridescent, transparent sheet that glowed a pale yellow color, with a vibrating swirl pattern that was almost enchanting.

It was something that you would see in a movie or read about in a book, not something that should have been here, in front of you. What was it?

It drew the curiosity out of you and you stood to your feet, carefully approaching the strange doorway. The moon was at just the right angle above where its beams fell and touched the glass-like surface, causing a rippling effect to take place. You stepped closer, sticking your hand out in an effort to get a handle on the texture, to see if it felt the way that it looked.

You could feel the energy pulsating off of it; a kind of magical aura that surrounded the radiance. You reached farther still. First, it was your finger, then it was your hand, then your arm. It went right through, and what was truly freaky was that you couldn't see it on the other side. Almost as if it was somewhere that you weren't.

What the heck?

You couldn't feel anything around your arm except for an almost slimy coolness; like the portal was a solid object yet not physical at the same time. You weren't hallucinating, right? Where did this come from? How was it here? It wasn't in this spot when you arrived, so how had it gotten here so suddenly?

You'd always been a curious person, with a sense of wanderlust, always attracted to the idea of adventure. So, ready to discover what lay on the other side, ready to find an answer, you didn't give the possible outcomes—both good and bad—any consideration before you inhaled a breath of encouragement and jumped in.