chapter 18

Your POV

There was a flicker of silence between all of us on the platform of the train station, despite the bustling crowd which frantically worked around our group. Jenna and I stood with our backs towards the train and faced my mom, Maddie and Eddie. It was the defining moment in time of saying goodbye, closing the chapter those people help write. Maddie was the first to cave as she threw her arms around Jenna.

"I'm gonna miss you so much." She said, her voice twinged with melancholy.

"I'm gonna miss you too, Mads." Jenna embraced her equally as hard.

One by one, they each said their goodbyes to Jenna, all a bit teary eyed. I noticed my mom hug her extra tightly, discreetly showing the fondness that had grown over the course of the summer.

"I'm so thankful I got to meet you, kid." She said after she pulled away.

"You're gonna make me cry." Jenna smiled sadly at the sight of my mom's distraught.

"If you're ever in Athens again, you'll have a place to stay," She said seriously. "And be sure to call."

"Of course." Jenna nodded. My mom gave one last embrace before sending us off.

"No hug for me?" I joked as we made our way towards the entrance of the train. 

"Get outta here." My mom shooed me off. I smiled before stepping up the stairs and boarding. I began to walk all the way to the back seats, desiring to be away from everyone else on the train. Jenna followed right behind me, lugging around her bag full of paraphernalia.

"I want window seat." I heard her spit out hastily right before I sat down. I paused, a slightly annoyed look on my face, and slowly turned around to face her. She read my expression and answered with a begging smile.

"Fineee." I groaned and moved out of the way, letting her take the seat. Jenna happily plopped down next to the window, and I reluctantly took the next seat over.

The train horn blew through the air, signaling the last call. I watched as she somberly glanced out the window, taking in the last look of Athens she would ever see. I could practically see her mood change and her face become clouded.

I looked around and checked that no one was near before I comforted her. I wrapped my arm around her and slightly pulled her in, and she obliged. I kissed the top of her head, knowing exactly what she was feeling and why.

The train huffed steam before screeching to a start, and the city of Athens began to fly by us, seeing us together for the last time.

"God damn I am tired." I stretched my arms out and collapsed on the freshly washed sheets of a queen bed. Jenna fell right on top of me, equally as exhausted. I felt her heart beat into my back as she breathed, and her body trapped me to the bed.

We had just arrived at the hotel on Salamis island after hours of a train and ferry rides. We ended up pulling the all-nighter just as we planned, spending the whole night talking about our futures. The both of us managed to catch some sleep on the train ride over, but our bodies could still barely function.

"We need coffee." Jenna concluded, mumbling into my back.

"You're right. Let's go."

We left our hotel room as abruptly as we arrived, the urgency to have coffee to fuel us rising above anything else. As we exited the hotel doors, we were met with brick streets and white concrete walls surrounding us. The blue window shutters and a variety of plants added a splash of color to the alleyway, and laundry hung far above us on the clothesline. Though the island wasn't too far from Athens, the sunlight seemed stronger as it warmly cloaked our skin in its burning rays. We made a right towards the heart of the island, figuring the best bet to find a coffee shop would be there.