Prologue

AN: Happy May The Fourth!

19 BBY

The cave was dark and cold, exactly the opposite of Tatooine's day cycle. In the center sat a man in brown robes. He closed his eyes, shutting out the cold and the rest of the universe so that it was just him sitting in the light of the force.

He took a deep breath and let himself relax.

Hello Master Qui-Gon. I don't know if you're hearing me, but I'm going to keep trying.

I was asked today if I have any children. I believe the woman who asked was trying to play matchmaker for her son. It seems there's more young men working here in the farm lands, while the girls are in the cities.

My first thought was of Anakin, as most of my thoughts are these days. But the next thought made me feel quite guilty, I can't believe I didn't first think of Lore-Val!

I told you before, I've found some official reports that have her listed as presumed dead but I don't know if I believe it. There's a chance she's still alive, she'd been out of the Core when the end came. I'm trying to hang onto that hope.

On the other hand, she was also alone with Solitaire, one of the clones, so it may have been just as dangerous for all I know. I hope that isn't so.

I almost wish she'd still been on Coruscant. I keep thinking about it, I could have taken her with me.

This job I've found, it's seasonal work. Things may have been difficult, but I'm sure I could have provided for her. We could have a house, a small one, but something more permanent than this camp I've made. She could have gone to school, it's only a few miles away. It would be safe for her here. At the very least I'd have someone who'd respond when I speak.

He paused hoping Qui-Gon would take the hint.

That's selfish of me. It wouldn't be fair. She deserves more than wasting away in the desert. She doesn't have anything to atone for...

I'm sorry, this isn't exactly productive is it?  I can only hope her present is safe.

I wish I could go after her. I know she went to Mandalore, so at least I have a starting point. But I'm needed here to watch after the boy.

Anakin's boy.

Obi-Wan felt his mind starting to stray, Anakin. His padawan. His friend. His brother. Anakin burning beside the lava flow. Anakin smiling and making jokes. Anakin murdering younglings. Anakin reuniting with Ahsoka after a difficult battle.

He tried to force himself back but it was too late. He'd lost his concentration. He sighed. Over six months on this rock and still no contact with Qui-Gon. He pushed himself to his feet and grabbed his canteen on his way outside.

Rooh the eopie was mewing, as she munched on her feed. Obi-Wan took a sip of water, and tried to let Rooh's eating distract him from his knotted up thoughts. He let his eyes wander to the bright spot in the sky that was Mandalore's sun.

He rubbed at his beard, feeling sand scratching at his face. He turned back towards the cave. It was time to make an attempt at sleep, to hope that for the first time in six months maybe he'd get a few hours of quiet. 

AN2: This intro took A LOT of inspiration from the Legends Kenobi novel. If you haven't read it you totally should.

Welcome back to Lore-Val's story!! I can't promise updates as quickly as I had them up with the last story since I have less written ahead of time, so I'm hoping I'll post once a month, maybe more as I get more written.  I'm really excited about this story and hope you like it :)