𝟎𝟎𝟏

Silence moved throughout the hospital, it was quiet and peaceful. And all of a sudden that silence is broken.

Firefighters and paramedics rush through the door with a victim from a car crash. A piece of rhubarb sticking through his skull, it was a miracle he has survived for so long.

He's a firefighter who was off duty and got into an accident, a van smashed into his car making a piece of rhubarb pierce his head still managing to keep him alive.

Annabel was on duty when the call came in, she had just started her residency this year and so far this was the craziest incident. she had hoped for a silent and quiet shift but working in a hospital it never gave her that option.

When she first saw it she didn't believe he was still breathing let alone talking. But she couldn't put too much thought into it, her resident wanted her to scrub in for this surgery so she can learn from him.

And so she stood in that OR for hours working on how to get it out of his skull successfully while keeping him alive, she even got to help remove it which was a big deal for an intern.

And after a lot of sweat and hard work they did it. He survived but he haemorrhage during the surgery. He was lucky, a medical miracle. And annabel's first major save.

Surgery was done but she had been given the job to inform the family and firefighters of his progress. And that's when she saw him.

Tall, muscular man with dirty blonde hair. He looked perfect standing there but she couldn't gaze at him forever she still had her job to do. And besides he probably had a girlfriend, he is a hot firefighter after all.

"Hello I'm doctor Bradford, I was assisting in mr Hans surgery. I'm happy to inform you that he is okay and recovering in the IC but there was some complications" Annabel said continuing to inform the group.

The whole time while talking about her patient she couldn't take her eyes away from the firefighter who had caught her eye earlier. She had learnt his name was Evan, Buck was his nickname.

Annabel had stopped herself from dating and it had almost been a year since her last fling. He broke her heart and left her feeling empty and from there she stopped dating. besides who needs a man when you're training to be a surgeon.

But throughout all the heartbreaks and breakdowns she had her best friend ivy. She was a nurse at the hospital too so they saw each other all the time. Ivy and Annabel met each other in high school and since then they have been best friends. Ivy was the type of friend you tell everything to and she would look out for you.

"Annabel, trauma coming in five" Ivy popped her head around the corner and Annabel nodded.

"If you have any more questions feel free to speak to nurse Ivy" Annabel smiled turning to leave but someone stopped her.

It was Bobby, no one knew that the two of them were friends and when he realised she was one of the surgeons for one of his firefighters he was scared she might tell them his secret.

Buck was gone and it was just Bobby and Annabel, she was confused on why he stopped her.

"Thank you" Bobby says , "I was just doing my job" she replies back but he shakes his head. "not that, I meant for not telling the rest about my secret" he continues.

Annabel had finally knew why he looked so on edge the whole time, he didn't tell his team and was scared she was going to tell them.

"It wasn't mine to tell" she smiles walking away, she had to be prepared for the next trauma that was coming through the door.

Bobby and Annabel became friends when they met at a meeting. They had bonded with each other and would sometimes go out for lunch or coffee if they needed someone to talk to.

"Young female, aged 8. Was a victim of an explosion. She has multiple burns across her body and her body went into v-fib on the way here but we managed to bring her back" the paramedics say wheeling the girl in.

She was tiny, with so many burns across her body. It was a miracle she survived, but the question is was it better to live like this or to have died? the burns were mainly second and third degree which meant that if by some miracle this little girl survives then shes going to go through a lot of pain to heal.

When Annabel saw her, she froze. She couldn't move her arms or her legs, they were numb. a horrified look ran across her face and only one thought ran through her mind. Lilly.

Ivy saw this and told another doctor to handle the patient and they did. But Annabel continued to look at the little girl. She didn't deserve this, she was only a child.

Ivy tried to move her away from seeing this, she didn't need to especially after what happened but Annabel continued to look , not saying anything. How could someone let this happen?

"Annabel?" Bobby asked walking over, he saw her body freeze but didn't know why but as he got closer to her he saw and knew.He guided annabel away from the room the girl was and brought her to a waiting room. Ivy and Bobby stayed with her until she was ready to go back to work.

"I'm Ivy" she introduced herself to Bobby and he did the same. The two later realised they were the only ones who knew what happened. they were the only ones annabel trusted.

it took awhile before annabel spoke and all she could do was ask how the little girl was. "I'm not too sure but I can go check" Ivy suggested. Annabel nodded and Ivy went to check leaving Bobby and Annabel alone. "Maybe we should go to a meeting?" Bobby asked but annabel refused.

"Not until I know she's okay" she barely whispered and Ivy appeared back into the room, her face dropped. "She didn't make it did she?" Annabel asked already knowing the answer. Ivy shook her head causing Annabel to drop hers into her hands.

Although Annabel didn't know the girl she felt a sadness for her. She was only a child and her life was taken away from her. Losing a patient was always hard but when it was a child it was harder.

"Annabel if you need to go home I can get someone to cover your shift" Ivy asks causing Annabel to release her head from her hands. "i'm sure your resident won't mind" she suggested.

"no, no it's okay I'm fine" she replies back wiping her eyes and getting up. " I've just got paged, I'll see you later Bobby".

And before he could reply back to her she was gone. She wanted to forget about this whole thing and go back to work and so she did. She had a few hours left of her shift and worked the hardest and eventually she forgot about the girl, well not completely.