king vs. nobody

Ayaka waits by the lamppost for Reki, looking down at his shoes. He was about to bend down and retie them when he heard a familiar voice call out to him.

"Whazz up!"

He turned towards Reki with a small smile. "Good morning." he said, and they did their handshake. They did the infinity symbol, and laughed.

"Where do you wanna go?" Reki asked.

After Ayaka suggested where they should go, Reki eagerly nodded his head in agreement before taking off at a brisk pace.

"Last one there buys the other one a juice box!" he called over his shoulder.

Ayaka gasped and frowned, trying to catch up to Reki.

"Wait, I-I don't even like juice!"

————

"Alright, let's do this." Reki said as he stared at the pet treat intensely. Ayaka, who was looking at it as well, nodded. Reki threw the treat, yelling, "Sketchy, go fetch!"

Sketchy leapt from the table, catching the treat in mid-air and landing on two skateboards that Reki had placed earlier. Sketchy skated a few centimeters, making Ayaka and Reki look at each other in amazement. "See! See!"

Sketchy ended up kicking back the two skateboards, one in each of the boys' eyes.

"Ouch!"

Oka walked inside the shop, seeing the scene. "You guys finished cleaning?" he asked, causing the teenagers to look at him.

"We just have to toss the water out!" Reki said. Ayaka rubbed at his eyes while he grabbed water.

"I got it. Be right back." he told, going out of the room.

Reki picked up a bag of dog food. "There we go." he said to himself.

"Seems like you are doing better." Oka mused, placing a hand on his hip.

Reki turned around and bowed to him. "I'm sorry about having to take so much time off."

"Oh please, I'm sorry about what I said."

Reki stood up straight again, looking at the ground with a content face. "Don't be. You're right about most of it." he admitted. "It's not just Ayaka. I'm different from Joe and Miya—even Langa and all of them."

He rubbed the back of his neck. "But still. It doesn't mean I love Ayaka any less!"

An arched eyebrow was Oka's response, causing Reki to freeze in his tracks. As he lifted his gaze from the ground, his face turned even redder, the imaginary weight of lightning striking him in that moment.

"I mean skating!" he hurriedly clarified, his words stumbling over one another. "It doesn't mean I love skating any less than they do! Did I say Ayaka? No, I didn't say that. I mean, yes, I love him, but-no! Well, yeah, wait hold on-!"

The words jumbled and tangled in Reki's mouth, his attempt to articulate his emotions devolving into a comical mess.

The bell above the door rang, causing Reki to stop his rant and for Oka to turn toward the door. "How's it goin'?"

Ayaka opened the back door and stepped inside again. "Welcome."

Reki gasped when he saw the man who walked through. "You're that guy from the love hotel!"

"Excuse you?" Ayaka and Oka asked, looking at Reki dumbfounded.

The latter waved his arms around frantically. "No! That's not what I mean!"