𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞

Start from the beginning

Rafe had opened the car door for me like a pure gentleman. I smiled at him as the grip from JJ had broken loose. He had seemed unhappy with the expressions he had made through his eyes as he looked at me. Rafe shut the door as I had sat down into the leather seat that felt luxurious compared to my Branco. Rafe had stood in front of JJ, peering down at the shorter muscular boy. My body rushed with adrenaline as I had looked at their interactions, hoping that JJ would contain himself in the moment because he was known to be a fighter. "Listen man, I'll allow you to take her but if you try anything I will come after you." JJ spoke in toughness almost like he was trying to threaten Rafe in a nicer mannerism. Rafe had nodded his head at JJ. "Do you like her or something?" Rafe questioned him and narrowed his eyebrows as he was ready to step in the car in order to take us on the date. "She's my best friend and if anything happens to her, I will come after you. I'm only accepting this because she wants to help you out so don't take advantage of her." JJ spoke to him and held his hand out to him, motioning for an alliance hand shake. Rafe had stuck his hand out into JJ's and shook their hands with intertwinement. I smiled at the small maturity that had taken over them. I was more than assuming for JJ to start a fight with his short temperament but he kept his promise to be there to support me. I smiled at JJ and laid my hand on the locket that he had given me. He gave me a thumbs up while Rafe walked onto the other side of the car to get in. I nodded at him as he had walked back towards the house, going to stay for dinner and because he knew I was going on a date — that meant he would wait until I got home to make sure I was safe.

Staring out of the window meanwhile Rafe had turned the key into the ignition. His hands rested on the steering wheel as he pressed on the break with his right foot, backing out of the driveway. I had felt embarrassed at the thought that JJ had been over protective of me — nonetheless kissed me the other day, it made me form a guilt that I hadn't wrapped my head around the ideas of what he had given me. It had brought me into a nervousness that streamed throughout my bloodstream meanwhile Rafe had drove with his fingers tapping against the steering wheel. "I'm sorry about him." I told Rafe as I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear and leaned my arm onto the inside of the car door. He shook his head and formed a grin against his face. "Does he have a crush on you or something?" He asked with his eyebrows narrowing while he tapped his pointer fingers against the steering wheel. Awkwardness rushed throughout my veins — wanting to avoid the questions that had made me think about all the times I had gone home, thinking about JJ in hopes that one day I could make a move until I had came to the conclusion that I couldn't do that to him or our friend group. "A crush? Are we in middle school again?" I laughed at him while I had glanced towards his muscular body that was covered in luxurious clothing. He sat with slight comfort meanwhile he had turned his head to the side while staring at the greenery that hid our homes behind us. "He's just protective over me. I have known him since first grade, he just doesn't want to see anything happen to me." I explained to him and crossed my legs over another to sit with elegance. He glanced back at me with a grin and rolled his eyes. "I don't blame him." Rafe said in response as he had pulled his car out of the gated community that kept our homes safe.

I shook my head and moved the small rings on my fingers around in discomfort from the anxiety that formed throughout my body. "How come?" I asked him and narrowed my eyebrows. "Because I wouldn't want you to get hurt." He laughed as he kept his eyes on the road while he started driving on the main road that led to the rest of the large OuterBanks area. I shook my head once again and looked out the window in silence. The plants had bloomed alongside the road, sprouting up with pure sunshine that could make the soul smile. OuterBanks had its quirks but it had been amazing place to live in. In the future, I had dreamt of moving to California and living my life out on the yellow sandy beaches on a small home near the ocean. That was all that I had needed in life — the sand, a board, and the ocean. I had dreamt of being married and starting a family while I worked as a marine biologist at a local high school. I never knew if I would find the one but at the back of my head, I wondered what life would be if I ended up with Rafe or JJ.