[CH 4] Demon Deals

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬʸᴵᴺᴳ : "Teeth"
ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯

With furrowed brows (Y/n) stared at the foreign language written on the book before her, the opposing page had an illustration.

It was her third day in Hell. She spent the second resting and getting acquainted with the three demons she came across. Today she managed to convince Alhaitham to help her learn how to read, although she already knew how to, the language commonly used in this world was ancient. Which meant she had to learn how to at least read it in order for her to start doing some research about elemental magic.

It became apparent to her that despite not being put in harms way by Alhaitham and the others, her run in with the hellhounds made her realize that she should still be cautious and find a way to protect herself. Since was accused of being a witch—even though she never used magic—and still ended up in Hell, it probably meant that she had the ability to use magic, or elemental energy. They grey demon had mentioned it before and she became curious about it.

The stories of witches were something she thought of as a fable to entertain imaginative minds. It wasn't until the plague that many decided to read into the Hexenzirkel witches and apply such knowledge to the world around them to make sense of it. Witches were seen as intelligent, masters of potionology, beloved by Mother Nature and all that she had to offer. (Y/n) would've been pleased to know that her people saw her as such, but the truth was that being seen as a witch was what led to her death. Her people didn't see her as anything more than an outlier in her village.

Perhaps her ignorance to her abilities brought her to Hell. Was it possible to lie if you never knew the truth? Was she found guilty for lying about not knowing how to use magic if she was favored by the elements?

She did not know.

She only knew that to find the truth was to face it head on. She was going to figure out how to learn how to use magic. But first she had to learn how to read from scratch.

The human sighed as she stared down at her notes that held the alphabet of the ancient language and the one she knew written below, courtesy of Alhaitham. While he was quite useful, his bluntness never ceased to push her buttons. The man spoke with a tone as if he was always stating facts. He was derived of emotion that it made her wonder if he was actually a robot from the fables she read. It also made him hard to read, he was like a dictionary in a different language. Transparent but hard to decipher.

Speaking of him... her (e/c) orbs slowly glanced to the side to see the grey demon sleeping on the couch. They were occupying the library, it was full of resources that she and Alhaitham needed. Beginner literature for (Y/n), and whatever Alhaitham needed for his research on... well he didn't really tell her what exactly he was searching for.

The Avatar of Sloth was an interesting man. Others would've said he was lazy, but all she saw was a demon who did things at his own pace and seemed to be sluggish at times. She had noted before that he preferred sitting down if he could and didn't move around unless necessary.

"Every creature here has been inflicted with a punishment for their deeds in the overworld."

His words echoed in her mind. Was this his punishment? She had briefly watched him succumb to slumber, he had been tapping his foot on the ground to help force himself to stay awake to read a research paper. It was all for naught, after a moment he had fallen asleep.

'Is he really lazy?' She thought.

She saw the way he looked through books, academic papers, research paper, etc. He worked efficiently, finding the portions he needed to see and writing it down. He had collected every piece of literature in the library that he deemed "useful for the investigation" as he had put it. The books and papers were stacked on the table before the couch the demon rested.