we don't balance out

"Hey, Mom!" Reki called out, sticking his head through the doorway into the kitchen. He was already dressed for school and ready to start his day. "Did you pack me a lunch?" he asked.

Reki's mother didn't go to face him, her being busy with preparing breakfast. "It's on the table, dear." his mom said.

"Got it!"

Confused, she hummed to herself and turned around, only to realize that Reki was no longer there. Wondering where he had gone, she scanned the area but saw no sign of him.

Just then, one of Reki's younger sisters came out of the house, brushing her teeth. She watched as Reki ran off in the distance.

"Oh my gosh, is he actually gonna make it on time?" she questioned.

Reki's skateboard glided smoothly on the pavement, and he couldn't help but smile as he felt the wind rush past him. Finally, he arrived at the spot where Ayaka was waiting for him, leaning against a lamppost.

Ayaka turned to face him and lifted his hand. "What's up?" he asked while he and Reki did their handshake.

"Hangin' out. Where we going'?" Reki replied.

"Big Wood course?" Ayaka asked.

"Sounds great!" Reki beamed, making Ayaka smile a little.

And the two were off, Reki in front while Ayaka stayed a little behind. But soon, Ayaka picked up some speed and skated in front of Reki, smiling back behind him.

He threw a water bottle over his shoulder and Reki caught it, taking a drink.

Reki impressed Ayaka by popping an ollie and skating along the handrail as they descended to a steeper path. Reki skated to a stop and smiled over at Ayaka.

Ayaka gasped lightly at him as he looked around. He stopped, and started skating again, picking up as much speed as he could. He skated up a board that had been propped up, flew up the wall directly in front of him, touched a graffiti star that had been drawn rather high, and then nailed the landing, skating away.

Reki gasped at him and then laughed. "Badass!"

Several school kids stood behind them, noticeably younger the teenagers as they, too, were in awe.

"Awesome!"

"What's that trick called?"

"Woah, I had no idea you could jump that high!"

Reki crossed his arms with a victorious smirk, nodding his head.

He soon caught up to Ayaka again, and lifted his hand for a high five. Ayaka looked at his hand skeptically for a second, before giving in and accepting the gesture.

————

"It's not unusual for him to zone out and daydream, certainly not." Nanako told her work friend. "But ever since his and Langa's father passed away, it's like talking to Ayaka's ghost." she said, grabbing a pamphlet and reading it.

"I was actually debating whether or not to bring them back to Okinawa. He loved watching him and his brother snowboard, and I was worried it would feel like a second loss. But here we are. And it feels like I did the right thing."

"He and Langa made new friends, and Ayaka even picked up his own hobby. He thinks I don't know that he sneaks out several nights a week and bribes Langa not to tell me. I just hope he stays safe and keeps his grades up."

————

Ayaka skated up a ramp when he and Reki got to S, and made eveyrone turn their heads toward him.