25 - don't rush me

Six months. That's how long it took to come up with a plan to rescue Minho, Sonya, Aris, and all the other kids WCKD took. You'd gone over dozens of plans and scenarios before you found one that could actually work. It had to.

You were hiding behind a small hill with Newt, waiting for Thomas, Vince, Brenda and Jorge to arrive. Peaking over the edge of the hill, you could see the train coming closer.

An explosion went off, half of the train continued going, the other half stopped with Thomas and Vince jumping off. You ran up to the train with Newt, him carrying his equipment.

He started working on the train while you opened your bag and pulled out a gun. Positioning yourself in front of Newt, you tried covering for him.

Thomas and Vince climbed on top of the train and positioned ropes on each end so the train could be carried off. "Newt, how you doing?" Thomas asked from above.

"Don't rush me."

The guards moving towards you started firing, making you shoot back at them. "Newt, Y/N, get up here!" Thomas ordered. "Almost there." Newt answered.

"Hold your breath."

Once Newt was done, he started climbing onto the train, closely followed by you. You lay down in the front, your gun positioned on the roof. Newt was next to you, Thomas next to him.

"Where are they?" Newt asked, referring to Brenda, Jorge, Fry, and Harriet. "I don't know." Thomas answered, firing at the guards. "Your aim's gotten better." Thomas commented, looking at you.

"Are you saying I was a bad shooter before?"

"What? N-no, I just-"

You laughed at his reaction. "Calm down, I know what you meant." Suddenly, the Berg appeared above you, a hook being lowered towards you.

You attached the ropes to it right before Vince joined you on top of the train and the Berg started lifting you. You and Thomas shot the remaining guards before you couldn't see them anymore.

You hugged Vince and Newt, pulling Thomas close to you and kissing him. "Welcome home, Minho."

Later, Newt opened up the sealed doors of the train, letting Thomas and you step in. "Aris." Thomas exhaled upon seeing his friend, beaten and chained up next to Sonya.

"Hey. Are you guys okay?" you asked, already working on getting them loose. "Yeah, we're fine." Aris assured you. Harriet took over freeing them, so you followed Thomas further through the train.

"It's okay. You guys are safe. All right? Just hang on." he tried calming the shaken up kids. Your eyes searched for Minho, upon scanning every face, you realized he wasn't there.

"He's not here." Thomas sighed. You took a deep breath before walking past Newt and hopping out of the train. You needed some fresh air.

You weren't mad at Thomas that he'd chosen the wrong train. There were so many screaming kids inside that you could hear the noise from a mile away.

There was only so much you could do. You sat down on one of the crates laying around and listened to Vince's speech towards the new kids.

Thomas spotted you sitting on your own, but he thought it to be better to leave you alone right now. You'd just lost your best friend again, and he partly blamed himself. Crossing his arms over his chest, he focused on Vince.

"All right, listen up. I know you've all been through hell. I wish I could say our troubles are over. But we're not through this yet. WCKD's still out there. They're not giving up. 'Cause you got something they want. They took you because you're immune to a plague that's wiping out the human race. And they think you're worth sacrificing to find a cure. Well, I don't. So, in two days, when we get this tub of rust seaworthy we're getting the hell outta here. We're gonna go to a place where WCKD will never find you. A place you can start over. A place you can call home. Are you with me? Come on up here. Let's get to work."

You smiled at the cheering kids before standing up, going to find Jorge and Brenda. Jorge's car had taken quite some damage during your mission, so you helped him fix it.

You handed him tools while he explained how different things worked to you. He stood up before walking up to Brenda and pulling her pants up, seeing the scarred Crank bite on her ankle.

"May I help you?" she asked, looking at him. "It looks good. How you feeling?" he asked her. She closed her book, laying it on the hood of another car.

"Awesome."

"I was just asking." Jorge commented, leaning against his car. "I know, I know, you're just asking. Everybody's just asking. Don't worry. When I crank out, you'll be the first to know."

"If." you corrected, glaring at her. She chuckled upon seeing your expression before nodding. "If."

Later, you were sitting in a room with Thomas, Fry, Brenda, Aris, Sonya, and Newt. Sonya patched up Aris before he flinched away, the liquid stinging his wounds.

He was handed a cup of water, drinking a sip and sighing. "Took you guys long enough to rescue us." he chuckled, looking up at you. "It's good to see you, too, bud." Thomas commented.

"So, what happened?" you asked, laying your hand on Thomas' thigh, who, in return, put his arm around your shoulders. "I fought back. Tried to, anyway."

"You're lucky you found us at all. They had us on the move a lot. It felt like something big was happening." Sonya told you. "Any idea where they were heading?" Newt asked.

"All I know is they kept talking about a city." Aris spoke. You frowned at his comment, sharing a glance with Thomas. "I didn't think there were any cities left." Harriet said.

"That's because there aren't. Not still standing, anyway." Brenda frowned, crossing her arms over her chest. "Well, what about Minho. Why wasn't he on the train?"

"I'm sorry, Thomas. He was."