Chapter 9: Jam Fight

For what seems like centuries, I stand, shell-shocked, beside the door, staring at Kai. His face is streaked with tears, his hands scrunched into fists, revealing his cracked and red knuckles. He still hasn't given the impression that he has noticed me, so I whisper into the chill, lingering air, my voice hoarse and husky.

"Kai?" My voice trickles into the air in a swift wave.

Instantly, his head snaps up, his distant chocolate brown eyes meeting mine. For a couple of seconds he gazes at me, his eyes trained on mine but the mist shielding them informs me he is elsewhere. The way he is sat, his knees brought up to his chest, his fists clenched into balls against his face, the way his eyes glint in the single ray of moonlight through the small cell window... they're all signs of Kai - not Malachai, Kai. Could he really be back? But how could that be possible?

"A-alison?" He stutters, his voice cracked from crying.

"A-alison." He repeats. "A-alison Magdelena."

"Yes, it's me." I reply, a smile starting to brush my lips, however I am cautious to approach him as if he is a delicate building that if I get to close he will fall apart and cause havoc all around him.

"I - I'm sorry." Kai stammers, tears starting to glaze his eyes.

"Kai, it wasn't you."

"How do even know it's me? I could still be a pyschopath!" Kai exclaims, the pitch of his voice accelerating before cracking, and causing the tears sitting on his dark lashes to fall.

"I know. I know the difference between the boy I love and a pyschopath." I whisper, reassuringly, inching towards him.

"How on Earth can you love me?" Kai whimpers, his fists now so tightly clenched, blood starts to trickle out of the cracks between his fingers.

"Kai, stop." I say, unclenching his fingers.

Now that I am kneeling beside him, his eyes meet mine once again. He looks at me with such a look that I've craved for years, then looks away, shaking his head.

"I've probably killed Bonnie - you're friend. And I've killed so m-many people - innocent people!" Kai weeps, tears sprinting down his flushed face.

"Bonnie's fine." I comfort, my arm gently touching his.

"Why are you even here, Alison Magdelena? Just leave me here to die, it would be a gift to the world."

"Kai, stop thinking like that. Now that you're back to your usual self, you're not going to hurt anybody."

"So you're just going to take the risk that I could suddenly snap into a pyschotic killer?!"

"No, because I won't let that happen!" I reassure.

"You did last time!"

"Kai," I whisper, knowing he knows that I couldn't have done anything to stop it.

"I'm sorry," Kai shakes his head. "Don't you see? One wrong word and I could snap. You have to let me go."

"No." I say, boldly. "I've waited so long for this, I'm not going to let you go again. Ever." I smile at him, truthfully.

He stares at up at me, not saying anything.

"Let's get you cleaned up, okay?" I murmur, rising to my feet.

"No!" Kai suddenly exlaims. "I can't leave here, and you know that Alison! The others will kill me or torture me or -"

"Kai, they're all gone, staying at hospital with Bonnie."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once we're done cleaning his face free of tears, I beam up at him.

"Better?" I ask, happiness bubbling down my veins. Kai's back, he's really back.

"You can quit acting like I'm some kind of precious flower now," Kai grins, his joking glint in his eyes shining.

"Aw, I like flower Kai!" I joke back.

"Hey! I'm a man!" Kai shoves me, jokingly.

Laughing, I ask him, my mouth upturnt with a stupid grin, "Hey Kai, do you want some jam?"

"Heck yeah!" He cries, every part of him radiating joy.

"Always a toddler at heart.." I mumble to myself, but still just audible for him to hear.

"Hey!" He punches me, jokingly.

Dramatically, I pluck a jar full of raspberry jam out of the mahogany cupboards. I shake it at him, before he yanks it out of my hand and rips the lid off, greedily.

Licking his lips, he heaves out a handful, staining his hands with a thick clump of jam. He grins, wildly, before stuffing it into his mouth.

Curious, I stick a finger into the pot. I stare at it for a while, before raising my eyes to meet Kai's who glare down at mine.

"Who told you, you could have some of my jam?" Kai says, sternly, but I can tell he's only kidding.

(A/N: Imagine in slow motion for full effect :'D)

I shrug my shoulders, guiltily, before a blob of jam comes flying at my face. It smacks against my cheek and my mouth widens, comically.

Revengefully, I grab a handful of jam and throw it at the culprit, causing jam to spread all over his t-shirt, even a bit in his hair.

I fall into fits of laughter, before being pulled into familiarly strong arms. My eyes greet his, his face is plastered with a desperate expression. My mind only set on one thing and one thing only, I let my lips melt against his. Kai, I love Kai. I always have and I always will. Sparks fly around my body, my pulse accelerating as our lips lock. Our bodies merge together as one, as -

"Ali?" I hear Damon cry, shock, surprise and betrayal tinting his voice.