Lucy Webb Hayes

Lucy Ware Hayes (née Webb; August 28, 1831 – June 25, 1889) was the wife of President Rutherford B. Hayes and served as First Lady of the United States from 1877 to 1881.

Hayes was the first First Lady to have a college degree. She was also a more egalitarian hostess than previous First Ladies An advocate for African Americans both before and after the American Civil War, Lucy invited the first African-American professional musician to appear at the White House. She was a Past Grand of Lincoln Rebekah Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, together with her husband.

Historians have christened her "Lemonade Lucy" due to her staunch support of the temperance movement; however, contrary to popular belief, she was never referred to by that nickname while living. It was her husband who banned alcohol from the White House.

Early life

Lucy Webb was born on August 28, 1831, in Chillicothe, Ohio. Her parents were Dr. James Webb and Maria Cook. She had two older brothers who both became medical doctors.

In 1833, Lucy's father went to his family's home in Lexington, Kentucky to free 15-20 slaves he had inherited from his aunt. There was a cholera epidemic happening at the time and James cared for the sick. Soon James became infected with cholera and died. Friends of Lucy's mother advised the family to sell the slaves rather than free them. Maria responded that she would take in washing to earn money before she would sell a slave.

Maria's father, Isaac Cook, was a temperance advocate and he encouraged young Lucy to sign a pledge to abstain from alcohol.

The Webbs were Methodists.

Education

In 1844, the Webb family moved to Delaware, Ohio. Lucy's brothers enrolled at Ohio Wesleyan University. Although women were not allowed to study at Wesleyan, Lucy was permitted to enroll in the college prep program at the university. A term report signed by the vice president of Ohio Wesleyan in 1845 noted that her conduct was "unexceptionable" (beyond reproach).

Several months later Lucy transferred to Cincinnati Wesleyan Female College, and she graduated from there in 1850. Lucy was unusually well-educated for a young lady of her day.

While in college, Lucy wrote essays on social and religious issues. One essay was entitled "Is Traveling on the Sabbath Consistent with Christian Principles?" At her commencement, she read an original essay, "The Influence of Christianity on National Prosperity." Lucy appears to have been influenced by the women's suffrage movement, writing in one essay, "It is acknowledged by most persons that her (woman's) mind is as strong as a man's. ... Instead of being considered the slave of man, she is considered his equal in all things, and his superior in some."

Marriage

Lucy first met Rutherford B. Hayes at Ohio Wesleyan University. At the time, Lucy was fourteen years old, and Rutherford was twenty-three. Rutherford's mother was hopeful that the two would find a connection, but at this point, Rutherford considered Lucy "not quite old enough to fall in love with."

In 1850, Rutherford's older sister Fanny Platt encouraged him to visit with Lucy again. That summer Lucy was 19, and she and Rutherford were members of the same wedding party. Rutherford was so taken with Lucy that he gave her the prize (a gold ring) that he had found in the wedding cake.

In 1851, Rutherford wrote in his diary, "I guess I am a great deal in love with L(ucy). ... Her low sweet voice ... her soft rich eyes." Rutherford also praised her intelligence and character, "She sees at a glance what others study upon, but will not, perhaps study what she is unable to see at a flash. She is a genuine woman, right from instinct and impulse rather than judgment and reflection."