Martha Dandrige Custis Washington

Martha Dandridge Custis Washington(June 2, 1731 — May 22, 1802) was the wife of George Washington,the first president of the United States. Although the title was notcoined until after her death, Martha Washington served as theinaugural first lady of the United States. During her lifetime, shewas often referred to as "Lady Washington".

Martha Dandridge first married DanielParke Custis. They had four children, two of whom survived to youngadulthood. Daniel's death made Martha a widow at age 26. She broughther vast wealth to her marriage to Washington, which enabled him tobuy land to add to his personal estate. She also brought with her 84dower slaves from Daniel Custis' estate for use during her lifetime.They and their descendants reverted to Custis' estate at her deathand were inherited by his heirs. The Washingtons did not havechildren together, but they did rear her two surviving children, Johnand Martha. They also helped both of their extended families.

Family and background

Martha Dandridge was born on June 2,1731, on her parents' plantation Chestnut Grove in the Colony ofVirginia. She was the oldest daughter of John Dandridge (1700–1756),a Virginia planter and immigrant from England, by his wife FrancesJones (1710–1785), who was of American birth and English, Welsh,and French descent. Martha had three brothers and four sisters: John(1733–1749), William (1734–1776), Bartholomew (1737–1785), AnnaMaria "Fanny" Bassett (1739–1777), FrancesDandridge (1744–1757), Elizabeth Aylett Henley (1749–1800), andMary Dandridge (1756–1763).

Dandridge may have had an illegitimatehalf-sister, Ann Dandridge Costin (years of birth and death unknown),who was born into slavery. Costin's enslaved mother was of Africanand Cherokee descent, and her father was believed to be JohnDandridge.[9] She may have also had an illegitimate half-brothernamed Ralph Dandridge (years of birth and death unknown), who wasprobably white.

First marriage

Daniel Parke Custis

On May 15, 1750, at age 18, Dandridgemarried Daniel Parke Custis, a rich planter two decades her senior,and moved to his residence, White House Plantation, located on thesouth shore of the Pamunkey River, a few miles upriver from ChestnutGrove. They had four children together: Daniel, Frances, John, andMartha. Daniel (November 19, 1751 – February 19, 1754) and Frances(April 12, 1753 – April 1, 1757) died in childhood. The other twochildren, John (Jacky) Parke Custis (November 27, 1754 – November5, 1781) and Martha (Patsy) Parke Custis (1756 – June 19, 1773),survived to young adulthood.

Daniel Parke Custis's death in 1757left Martha a rich young widow at age 26, with independent controlover a dower inheritance for her lifetime, and trustee control overthe inheritance of her minor children. In all, she was left incustody of some 17,500 acres of land and 300 slaves, apart from otherinvestments and cash. According to her biographer, "shecapably ran the five plantations left to her when her first husbanddied, bargaining with London merchants for the best tobacco prices".

Second marriage

Martha Custis, age 27, and GeorgeWashington, age 26, married on January 6, 1759, at the White Houseplantation. As a man who lived and owned property in the area,Washington likely knew both Martha and Daniel Parke Custis for sometime before Daniel's death. During March 1758, he visited MarthaCustis twice at the White House plantation; the second time, he cameaway with either an engagement of marriage or at least her promise tothink about his proposal. At the time, she was also being courted byplanter Charles Carter, who was even wealthier than Washington.