Chapter 4: The CD player

Friday, January 25th 2008

"Just drive. Anywhere." Mischa sobbed.

I put the car in reverse and pulled out of his driveway, not even bothering to look at his house. I think I understand now.

"I'm just going to drive to my house, okay?" I informed him.

He didn't answer, just rested his elbow on the side of the car and cried.

It took less than a minute before we got out of my car, I grabbed my own backpack from the trunk, and opened the front door.

"Mom?" I shouted. "I brought a friend home, just so you know."

My mom paused and looked up from her laptop. Her eyes meet with a teary Mischa.

"Oh is this Mischa?" She inquired, her lips pursed in concern. "Is everything okay?" She asked.

"I'm sure it will be." I said. I placed my hand on Mischa's shoulder, looking up at him. "Do you want to go sit on the couch?"

Mischa nodded, walking towards the couch.

"What happened?" My mom whispered.

"I think he got into an argument with his adopted parents. I don't think this is the first time it's after either." I sighed, glancing towards Mischa. "I'm not sure what it was about."

"Poor boy." My mom sympathized.

Mischa had his legs tucked under him, his head placed on his knees, sulking.

"Mischa!" My mom spoke up. "Would you like anything? Tea? Coffee?" She prompted, smiling.

Mischa lifted his head, sniffling. "Coffee please."

I took off my shoes and sat down next to Mischa, who was now wiping his eyes. He untucked his legs and let his head fall back on the couch.

"Feeling better?" I asked softly.

He roughly exhaled, "A small bit."

"Sometimes all we need is a good cry." My mom interrupted, placing a cup of coffee and sugar in front of him.

"Thank you." Mischa whispered, dumping a load of sugar in his coffee. He took a sip, sighing.

"Do you want to talk about what happened?"

"Not really." He said, placing his cup on the coffee table. "I just got into another argument with my parents."

The way he said parents made my heart sink.

"Mm.." I breathed in, thinking.

"You're my first friend in Uranium." Mischa stated.

"Really? Why?" I inquired.

"I don't think even any of my friends in Ukraine would do something like this for me." He continued. "You are good person."

I laughed, "It's nothing, but thank you."

"I am serious." He smiled. "Бог, that was so embarrassing."

"What was?"

"You have to see.." he searched for the words before gesturing to himself "This."

"It's alright!" I said "As long as you're feeling better."

My mom insisted I show Mischa my room, and I reluctantly obliged.

"Sorry it's so messy…" I apologized, kicking a pile of clothing into the corner.

Mischa chuckled, "You should see my room, it is far worse than this." He looked around, before gasping. "You have a record player?"