Chapter 1: In Fair Verona

Thursday, January 24th 2008

"I'm sure you all noticed you have a new classmate," Father Marcus started.

The new kid has been here for 2 weeks and he's already been in two fights and three after school detentions. What did he do this time? According to Ocean, he stole 3 boxes of communion wine.

And the best punishment administration could think of was putting him in the choir.

"This," Father Marcus continued, "is Mischa Bachinski, he has just moved from...Russia?"

Mischa rolled his eyes, "It's Ukraine. God, you Canadians can't get anything right."

Untucked vest, unbuttoned white shirt, crooked collar and black baseball cap, backwards of course. I bet he thought he was the shit.

"Now if you'll all excuse me, I have a horrendous amount of paperwork I have to do for our next concert. You can do any homework for another class, but please keep the volume at a 4." And Father Marcus has retreated to his office for the rest of the class.

Ocean immediately sauntered up to Mischa hands behind her back and judgment in her eyes. "So Mischa, what are you exactly? Tenor?"

"Baritone."

And before Ocean could pester him with more questions, he had already sat in the corner, typing away relentlessly on his phone.

"Does he ever stop texting?" I laughed. "That was rhetorical, I know the answer."

"What classes do you have him in?" Noel asked.

"Biology 2, Algebra 2, and Geography. And now, Choir."

"Ooooh, handsome isn't he?" Noel prompted.

I scoffed. "I'm sure you think he is. Aren't you into bad boys?"

"You're avoiding my question, Y/N."

"I don't think it's worth answering, Noel."

"Fiiiiiine, be boring." He retorted. "Anyways, movie night at my place? My mom's gonna be out of the house so we can order a pizza or something."

I sighed. "Sure, but if you make me watch The Blue Angel one more time, I'll jump out the window."

"You're such a buzzkill!" He groaned. "But fine, we can watch something different."

...

"Can we watch Romeo and Juliet please?" I begged, practically on my knees.

"You know, you get on me for watching French cinema, but this is the third tragic romance you've asked for this month." Noel stated.

"I have not!" I gasped, leaning back dramatically.

"You have!" He shot back at me. "Last week it was Titanic, and before that you asked for West Side Story, which is basically Romeo and Juliet."

"Noel, please, if not for me, do it for Leonardo DiCaprio." I said.

"I really don't see the point."

"Please please please Noel Gruber I am on my hands and knees. I promise we can watch whatever you want next week!" I said dropping to the ground.

"Oh my God, fine! Get off the floor, it's filthy! You know how much I despise movie rental stores." He grabbed the DVD and quickly strided to the counter to check out.

Noel and I have been having weekly movie nights since grade 5. We never miss one, even if I spend the whole time studying on his bedroom floor.

This time was different though. Noel had just finished his weekly lament about how badly he wants to move to France, all the things he would do and see. And then he paused.