"I also wanted to say sorry for yesterday."

"Sorry for what?"

His hands tightened on the steering wheel. "I'm sure it was uncomfortable."

Was he referring to how he reacted after seeing that group of girls? I frowned. "If anything, I should apologize to you. You came with me to help me find a dress and that happened."

"I thought I saw my ex," he explained. "It wasn't about coming with you."

"Oh," I replied, unsure of how to respond to that. The reaction he'd had yesterday was just because of an ex? What kind of falling out had they had?

"We didn't have a good ending to our relationship," he continued, answering my silent question.

"Ah..."

"Or a good relationship in general."

Again, I didn't know what to say. Sorry to hear that? Is that what people wanted to hear when they said things like that? The silence stretched, and I scrambled to think of something to say.

"I've never been in a relationship," I ended up blurting and immediately regretting it.

He glanced at me from the corner of his eye, expression as neutral as ever. For once I was grateful for that.

My face flamed. "Wait. That came out wrong. Or I mean, I only said that because I'm not sure how to respond seeing as I have no experience in relationships. I'm not trying to give you dry responses on purpose."

"You write romance, but you've never been in a relationship?"

"I've read a lot of romance books," I said defensively. "And I watch a lot of romance movies."

"I hope I'm not the first person to tell you real life isn't like the movies."

I pursed my lips. "My readers don't seem to have a problem with the romance I write."

"I think your books are romantic," he said, glancing at me again, dark eyes under long lashes. "They made me think you're a romantic person. It's just surprising to hear you've never had a relationship."

I shrugged. "I've been writing since elementary school. All my free time was usually taken up by that. And I never found anyone interesting in high school. Then after I graduated and moved out of my house, I rarely left it. I mean, I still do rarely leave it. Actually, this week is probably the most I've gotten out in the past five years."

"I'm a homebody, too," he responded.

"You're a celebrity, though."

"And I still like to stay home whenever possible."

"What do you do at home?" I asked, trying to imagine what someone like Theo did in his free time. Stare at the wall with a neutral expression? Watch T.V. with a neutral expression? Practice any expression that wasn't neutral in front of the mirror for when he needed to act?

Theo put on his blinker as we made a turn, checking the mirrors. "Hang out with my cat. Game."

"Game?" I repeated, twisting toward him, my interest sparked. "What kind of games? Like World of Warcract?"

"I'm not that nerdy."

"Wow," I responded, mock offense in my tone, eyebrows raising. "That's just rude."

I swear a flicker of a smile on his lips. "I take it you play?"

"Not just that. League, Overwatch, Valorant. Rust, Dead By Daylight. The Last of Us. Animal Crossing. I'm a woman of many games."