Chapter 20: The Finale

Zacznij od początku

Oh you're gold so stay low
Turn back around
And I'll be walking down broken roads

I began singing more strongly, making Jake go quiet and smile.

There's something I miss about you
Don't know if I told you
I've been feeling lonely

All these years and counting
I'm struggling to climb this mountain
But looking where I'm standing
I'm still trying to figure it out

I screwed up and left you
But there was something I read through
Now that I know that regrets true
'Cause I'm missing the small things

When I messed up and left town
Put it to bed, let my guard down
But all the words that I read I'll forget now

Oh you're gold so stay low
Turn back around
And I'll be walking down broken roads

As the final lyrics of the song echoed throughout the room, there was silence. A few moments later, the entire erupted into applause. The judges were clapping enthusiastically with wide grins on their faces as the kids in the audience were cheering and whooping. Even a few of the popular girls were clapping.

They- they liked it. They actually liked it. My mouth spread into an enormous smile and I turned to Jake, who was now next to me.

I squeezed him in a hug a whispered, "Thank you."

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

As we walked backstage, I could hear the whole auditorium cheering for us. I pushed back the velvety red curtain and walked through it. I saw that Jake was already backstage, and about a hundred girls were congratulating him and swooning over him. I rolled my eyes and walked past.

"Wait, everyone! I'm not really the one you guys should be congratulating! Hailey is!" He pointed at me and smiled. My face turned red in embarrassment as everyone surrounding him suddenly hurried over to me. "Good job, Princess!" He said giving me a thumbs up.

I will kill that douchebag... I seethed in my mind. I quickly escaped from the mob and slipped towards Jake, planning to thank him once again. I turned the corner to find him standing next to a familiar, white-haired girl. Daisy. His face was red as a tomato as she talked to him, her light blue eyes sparkling as she congratulated him in amazement. I shrugged and walked a little closer. Then, she kissed him. It was a very small kiss, just on his cheek, and it looked very friendly. But my mind went blank. All I could think of was,

She kissed him. My life is over. Jake looked over to me, the red draining from his face, then coming right back, even redder.

"H-Hailey! Hi!" He smiled brightly, looking sincerely happy to see me. But I didn't care. Tears rimmed my eyes as I ran away. They started to fall down my cheeks but I made no effort to wipe them away. I heard Jake's footsteps as he ran after me, and I heard his voice calling after me as I ran. I pushed open the doors and exited, sobbing. I found my way to the lockers and collapsed in a corner, wiping my eyes. I saw a peach-haired boy skid down the hall and run up to me.

"Hailey!" He gasped, seeing my tears slide down my cheeks. "What happened to you?!" He squatted down to hug me, but I pushed him away, revealing my tear-streaked face.

"What did you do? Daisy kissed you! Do I mean nothing to you?! Everything that happened! Did that mean nothing?!" I raved, standing up to confront him. He backed up in surprise.