CH 3

We checked into our hotel. It was a fairly decent hotel that overlooked the city. I had my own room that shared a door with the two guards in the next room over. Across the hall was the doctor.

Once we had taken a moment to settle into our respective rooms, we all met up down in the lobby. Margaret had her notepad and a pen, looking forward to seeing if it worked. I was vibrating with excitement. And even the guards looked a little more relaxed.

"Ready to go?"

"Yes please!" I'm going to be fixed!

We stepped out to find a rented car in front of us with a nice, scratchless, blue paint job.

One of the guards sat up front to drive while I sat in between the other one and Margaret.

Alright Lila, try to stay calm, you're just finally meeting your soulmate, act cool, try not to think about them possibly not wanting anything to do with you or already found someone they love who's not you.

Stop.

Lets just sit with no thoughts.

"So Lila, excited to meet your soulmate?"

"Am I?!" I cleared my throat realizing how excited I sounded. "I mean, am I?"

"It's okay to be happy, you know."

"Yeah, I know, I just am worried about getting my hopes up."

"Get those hopes up, you are the very first recorded person to find their soulmate without a natural string! We are making history here!"

I cracked a small smile, she was right, I can be happy, this is truly a momentous occasion!

We stared at the string, calling out turns when needed, finally we found the place and I couldn't refrain from leaping out of the cab leaving the guards to hurry after me as doctor Margret was left to move to the driver's seat and find a parking space..

My eyes were targeted on the red string, ignoring all other surroundings as I weaved my way through the grass.

After a minute or so of wandering, the string pointed down and I finally looked up.

Oh. I don't know why I didn't notice sooner, but I was in a graveyard.

I was standing next to a tall woman with auburn hair pinned neatly in a bun, her eyes had smile crinkles but no smile to match, and she was wearing dull colours, the air she held around her was somber. The guards finally caught up to me and once they noticed where the string was pointing, they gave me a pitying look.

"It seems," the woman spoke. "That you were my daughters' soulmate. Am I correct?" She nodded curiously to my string.