Part 6: It's All Over

Start from the beginning

"Hey, Kiera. How you doing?" he asked in his usual raspy voice.

"I'm okay." she answered as she took her earbuds out.

"Listen, at some point, you're gonna have to come-" Hank started to say.

Then, Jay walks in with a tray of food.

"Sarge? What are you doing here?" he asked, then placed the tray on his chair.

"Just checking in." Hank answered.

"Why don't we take this outside?" Jay suggested.

"Excuse us." Hank said to Kiera, then the two of them walked out to the hallway.

"All right. What's your game?" Jay asked him.

"Excuse me?" Hank questioned.

"She's been through hell, and you think that this is a good time to ambush her with questions?" Jay questioned.

"All I was going to tell her was that she'll have come down to the District for questioning once she's discharged." Hank explained.

"No need, I already got it." Jay said, holding up his phone.

"What do you mean?" Hank asked.

"I took a voice recording of me asking her some questions about what happened. So, there you go." Jay said, then texted the voice recording to Hank's phone.

"All right. Good work, Jay." Hank said when he heard his phone ding to notify that he received the recording.

He was starting to walk away, but Jay got his attention again.

"Hey, Sarge?" Jay said.

"Yes?" Hank said as he turned around.

"If you have any more questions for my daughter, you can go through me." Jay said in a stern tone of voice.

"Understood. My apologies." Hank said, then walks away.

Jay rolled his eyes in frustration, then went back into Kiera's hospital room. He picks up the tray to sit down in his chair again, then sets the tray on his lap and opened up the food boxes.

"What was that about?" Kiera asked as she grabbed a food box.

"Nothing I can't handle." Jay simply said.

Kiera devoured her food because of how hungry she was.

"Whoa, slow down. No one's gonna take it away from you." Jay said.

"Sorry, it just that they didn't feed us in the farmhouse." Kiera explained.

"I've been thinking. Would you want me to reach out to your mom to see if she wants to come and visit?" Jay asked.

"No!" Kiera exclaimed.

Jay was shocked to hear Kiera respond like that and she quickly corrected herself.

"Sorry, no. I don't want her to see me like this and I don't want you to lose her trust because she'll start asking questions." Kiera explained.

"Okay, point taken." Jay said.

They ate their food and Jay stayed at the hospital overnight. Will assured him that Kiera was in good hands, but he didn't want to leave her side. Kiera couldn't stop thinking about how she overheard Jay calling her "his daughter" and it felt good to know that he feels that way about her.

~~~~~~~~~~

After three days, Will discharged Kiera from the hospital. He unhooked her from all the monitors, as well as prescribed two medications to help with any muscle pain and anxiety symptoms. Will helps her out of the bed and walks her to the bathroom so that she can change clothes. Kiera quickly took off the hospital gown, then put on a dressy lavender shirt, a pair of jeans, and white Converse sneakers.