1.5 - Catherine Mitchell

Start from the beginning

By the time I had finished the letter tears were streaking down my eyes. I missed my husband so much and as much as I loved hearing from him, my heart ached every time I saw his handwriting. I don't know what I ever did to deserve a man so wonderful, but I appreciated him every day of my life.

After wiping my tears, I wrote back to him, pouring my life out into every word. I sealed the envelope and left it on Speedy's station, which was attached to my office, knowing that she would deliver it for me in the morning. I then went back to my barracks and freshened up before heading to lunch. Per usual, I sat with the one person who came somewhat close to my level of appreciation as Speedy did. Lieutenant Dorothy West.

"I swear to God, these psych classes are kicking my ass." Dot grumbled as she ate her oatmeal. "I mean I thought college was hard-Jesus Christ! All these new diagnoses are popping up all over Europe because doctors are finally doing there jobs and now there are all these new treatments we have to learn." The brunette slumped in her seat. "It's exhausting."

"Strategies have been the same for me." I told her. "It feels like I'm actually back in college with all the lectures and lessons. The Lieutenant that teaches us actually gives us homework."

"No." Dot gasped.

"Yes." I nodded back. "I have to somehow find and read some book called 'The Art of War'."

"How do you reckon you'll get it?"

"Speedy." I told her and she smiled. "God bless that little spaz. All they give us is lucky strips but she can find me the actual top of the line cigarettes."

"You ever wonder how she gets all of that extra supplies?"

"I figured it'd be wisest not to ask."

"Fair point. Why mess with something that's not broken?"

"Exactly." Dot said. "I honestly think that at least half the company is bribing her for shit."

"Oh please, Dot." I said, shaking my head. "At the very least it's 3/4 of the company and you know it."

Later that afternoon I sat in my office with Speedy going over some forms and papers that I would have been completely lost with if it wasn't for the pint-sized genius.

"So basically, if you sign this paper then that signature then validates that paper which confirms the transaction going on...here." She said while pointing to five different pieces of paper.

"Why?" I whispered out, unable to say anything else.

Speedy stared down at the papers, her brow wrinkled in thought. "At this point I honestly don't know."

"Speedy, thank you for all of your help." I told her as I picked up some papers. "Seriously, I don't know what I would do without you, you have done everything asked of you and more and if I could I'd promote you."

A blush crept up Speedy's cheeks as she looked at her feet. "I haven't done anything to deserve a promotion."

"Speedy you do a lot more than a lot of people do." I told her. "How are you doing with your company clerk training? You obviously understand all this stuff better than I do."

"I like it." Speedy said with a soft smile. "It reminds me of school and I missed learning. I'm also talking to a bit more people."

"And I'm very proud of you for that." I told her. I knew talking was a big fear for Speedy. The young girl and I had gotten very close and become confidants in each other and she had told me about her terrible fear of public speaking and her extremely shy persona. Though in the past few weeks she had gotten a bit out of her shell and even made a few friends.