13 City of Brotherly Love

Start from the beginning

I, nostalgically, take another second to stare at the keys before he lowers his shirt.

We walk across the street and I smile in awe of the beautiful scenery.

"This looks even better in person."

"Yeah, it is nice," Spencer says and I believe this is the first time he's really taken a good look at the beauty of his one city

"I read a book about Philadelphia that I loved when I was younger." I tell him and his eyes shift to me as he gives me his undivided attention. "The book was about this little girl who lived near the city but never went to the Rocky steps, the Liberty Bell, or the love statue."

"Why not?" He asks.

"She would ask her dad to take her to those three places, but he was always too busy with work. So she grew up and had never visited those places, despite living the city."

"Damn," he comments and I smirk. "Why are you laughing? That's a terrible way to end a story."

"I didn't say that was the end," I say with a smile. "The story ended with the girl growing into a young woman and visiting those three places with her boyfriend, several times."

"Oh, that ain't too bad. But what about her Pops?" Spencer asks and I love how interested he is in the story.

"The last time she went to the three places, she sees her dad at the Love statue." I say and he smiles. "He came to witness her proposal."

"It's funny because I definitely had LA women all wrong, in my head," He asks and I look at him confused.

"What?"

"I thought y'all were all into those TikTok proposals that cost just as much as the wedding," he says truthfully.

"Should I be offended?" I questions. "I'm starting to regret the whole honesty thing we're doing."

He laughs and I do too.

"I like it though."

"Like what?" I ask and he nods toward the Love statue.

"I like that you want something simple. I think it's more meaningful that way."

"I told you that I liked the book. Why do you assume that's what I want?"

"Because I seen the look in your eyes when you told the story about the little girl," he tells me.

"You think you know me," I say before letting out a small giggle.

"Anyway, we should head back to campus before you miss the start of the pajama party," he says hesitantly and I have a better idea

"What if we did something else instead?" I asks.

"What do you have in mind?"

"Give me your keys," I say and he doesn't hesitate to raise his shirt, for me to reach his keys.

I bite down on my bottom lip, softly, as I decide whether or not I should take him up on his offer.

"There all yours," he convinced me and I place my right hand on the side of his abs and unclip his keys with my left hand.

I didn't have to touch, but I couldn't help myself. And something tells me that's exactly what he wanted me to do.

•••

With the assistance of my gps, we find ourselves at the bottom of the Rocky stairs, prepared to run up.

"Are you ready?" I ask.

"I'm not letting you win," he responds and I roll my eyes.

"Clearly, I don't need you to let me win. Especially after how I embarrassed you in Pop-A-Shot." I say and he laughs.

"You're not going to let me live that down, are you?" He counters.

"What do I get when I beat you up these steps?" I change the subject.

"When I win, I get a kiss." He says and I roll my eyes. "And you have to answer a question that I've been wanting to ask you."

"What happens when you lose?" I ask.

He laughs. "In the rare case that I lose, I'll take you back to the zoo and I'll feed the giraffes while taking a picture."

I smirk. "Deal! But you have to throw in a grip to Wawa!"

He laughs as we get set to race.

"Ready, set——" I take off, knowing it's my only chance of beating him.

"—-cheater," he yells and I laugh as he races pass me and turns to rub it in at the end. "Say I'm the best!"

I take heavy breaths as I reach the top of the stairs, and Spencer laughs at my pain.

"You're a D1 athlete, you should be running stairs," I say and he laughs even harder.

"Pay up," he tells me and I tighten my lips as if this is the worse possible outcome, knowing it's not.

He closes his eyes puckers his lips and I kiss his cheek.

He smiles as he opens his eyes. "I'll take that."

"What is that you want to ask me?" I question and he smiles.

"I get it if you say no, but I leave school tomorrow for the next two weeks. It's a retreat the boys basketball team does to prepare for the spring games. And I really didn't want to leave without knowing if it would be okay for me to call and text you while I'm gone."

"So you want to actually use my number the right way?" I ask sarcastically and he laughs.

"Absolutely! I'll never make that mistake again."

I nod my head in agreement and he doesn't hesitate to text me before we find ourselves sitting on a park bench watching the stars brighten.

•••

It's late when we return to school. And by the look of the crowd walking through the courtyard, the pajama party just let out.

I see Aaliyah and Kia sitting on c-building stairs as we approach and they instantly pass judgement by the looks they give.

"Mhmm... we knew exactly why you didn't make it to the pajama party." Kia mouths and my cheeks turn red as I try not to smile too hard.

I notice Spencer's eyes shift from my friends to his friends as they walk up the stairs.

"Aye, Spence! Where the hell you been? Yara said you were coming to the party tonight," Ashton asks as he shakes Spencer's hand.

Yara looks over at him and waves to no one in particular and continues to walk through the lobby doors.

"Something came up," he answers before turning his attention back to me.