Chapter 36- The Terror Within

Começar do início

Korra jumps as she flexes her muscles. "Woo-hoo!Metalbending champion!"

I applauded for her. "Go, Korra!" But immediately stopped when Bolin glared at me.

"Oh sure. She's the Avatar!" He said.

"Guys, it's time to get cleaned up." Asami had said. "Tonight is Opal's farewell dinner."

Bolin sadly, sighed. "Oh, now I have to say bye to Opal? This is the worst day ever!" He slumps his shoulders and walks away sulkily.

To get ready for the dinner this evening, everyone went their separate ways.

Asami and I had shown up together to the dining area where Bolin, Korra, Mako, Varrick and Opal and her entire family were awaiting on us. "Look who decided to finally show up. The models."

I slowly strut over to an available seat beside Varrick  as Asami was close behind.

Bolin looked around the room. "Where's Iroh?"

"Oh, you know him, he had general things to do." I responded by waving my hand.

Opal's farewell dinner had began, as the chef walks over and gives Opal her plate. "Thanks for making my favorite meal." She beamed.

"I'm really going to miss you, Opal. No one appreciates my raw veggie wraps like you do." The chef walks away to serve the remaining plates of food.

I turned to Asami who had been awfully quiet since we've arrived in Zaofu. "Are you okay? You've been so to yourself lately."

Asami shook her head as though she were lost in thought. "I'm fine, I've just been thinking a lot recently, it's nothing."

I cocked my head to the side. "Do you wanna talk about it? I'm here if you need anything."

Asami quickly took a handkerchief off the table and wiped her eyes with it. "It's just-its...I just miss my dad."

"Asami," I lightly cooed, poking out my bottom lip in sorrow.

"I've known him for all my life and it's just been weird not seeing or having him around. You know?"

I rested my head on the shoulder of my friend. "Yeah, I know. I would be sick to my stomach if anything happened like that to my father. You guys were really close, it's understandable. Maybe when we get back to Republic City, you can try to visit him in prison again? Does that sound like a good idea?"

Asami shook her head. "Can you please come with me?"

"Of course, I'll come with you, babe."

Varrick, who was sitting besides me yells for his assistant. "Zhu li!" He snaps his fingers, "bring the, uh, thing." Zhu Li appears in a flash next to Varrick and hands him a contraption from a bag. "Check out my latest invention!" He reveals a device with a knob in the center and a red, yellow, and green indicator on top. "An airbender finder."

As I take the machine from Varrick and hand it over to Asami. Korra, who was seated next to Asami, points her fork at the device. "Wait, that can find airbenders?" Asami aims the device towards me.

Asami moves the device up and down, but nothing happens. "Uh..I think, it's broken." She hands the gadget back to Varrick.

Angrily, Varrick says. "It's not broken. She needs to-" He waves his hands around in a bending motion. "airbend into it!" He grabs the airbender finder. "How else do you expect the thing to work?" Varrick does not look pleased.

Suyin taps her glass to gain everyone's attention. A metallic object tapping against the glass three times is heard. In the middle of the table, Suyin has stood up with her glass raised.