𝒊𝒗. unforgettable lives

━━━━━━━━━━━━
willow ouma 𝒙 finnick odair

 unforgettable lives━━━━━━━━━━━━❛ willow ouma 𝒙 finnick odair ❜

you clinged to my body like you
wanted it forever. what a lie, what
a lie, what a lie.
-what a time (feat. niall horan) by
julia michaels

(word count; 4,500+)

THE NEXT FEW DAYS of training go by in a blur, by the last day, everyone's closer much than they were the first day. It turns out they all get along pretty well. Sometimes, Willow could even forget they were going to die in an arena together, that they were going to be the ones killing one another. But, other times it hit her like a ton of bricks, and sat in the middle of the room like a twenty foot elephant. The whole process has been so painful. Honestly, Willow assumes that's the point. It's supposed to hurt. Not only to remind the citizens of Panem that not even the Victors hold any power, but also the Victors themselves. It's to shove so much shame and guilt down the eventual 75th Victors throat, so that they lose their voice all together, and all hope is destroyed forever. Or, at least, until the next Quarter Quell.

    Finnick sits next to Willow, waiting for their district to be called. His hand is in hers, warm, calloused, scarred. As they sit there, looking around at the other Tributes, Willow vaguely wonders how on earth they're going to kill these people. These people who have become their fellow Victors, their allies, their friends.

    "Are you going to be okay?" Finnick asks, dipping his head down a bit to meet her eyes, hair falling across his forehead as he does.

    With a forced smile, Willow nods, unable to look her best friend back in the eyes. "Yeah, of course I am. You?"

    "Yeah," he whispers, gently. "You're here."

    At that, Willow meets Finnick's gaze, looking deeply into his sea-green coloured irises that tends to look blue in some lights. The brunette Victor has never really been able to define the feelings she feels for Finnick. All of it gets jumbled up in her head. She knows she loves him, how can she not? But, the exact deep emotions she feels around him can't be explained in words. At least, not in her mind. And, it hurts her head to think about it for too long, so she doesn't.

    "District 4," a man's voice calls through the speakers, making Willow's heart jump right into her throat. "Finnick Odair. Report for individual assessment."

    With one last glance, Finnick releases Willow's hand, sending her a reassuring smile as he heads towards the door, leaving the woman all alone. The people around her continue to murmur, a few looking back at her now that Finnick's not there. She wonders if they're talking about her and him. And, if they are, what could they possibly be saying?