Chapter Fifty four: The Beginning Of Their Feelings (5)

Start from the beginning

"Alright."

Gerard nodded and walked to his horse. It was time to leave. The person whom he wanted to see kept lingering in his mind.

"It can't be helped."

That was what he said, but he kept looking back until he left the Capital.

***

The western border was more disastrous than he thought. Due to the Tzuwai people looting, the locals living on the border were unable to lead a normal life.

In the fall when the crops were harvested, the plundering of the Tzuwai began. They did not only steal crops and foods, but also kidnapped girls as young as two or three years old. According to investigations, the girls were used as human sacrifices by cutting their bellies open and using it as an offering to the sky.

Moreover, the Tzuwai even went as far as setting fire to the villages they looted. The homes of Imperial people burnt to ashes in an instant.

"WAAH!"

A child was weeping sadly beside their mother's body. There were many dead bodies on the street. The smell of smoke and blood stung his nose. Is this what death smelled like?

"The enemy seems to have already retreated."

Aiden, who had been investigating the scene, reported to Gerard. They departed right after hearing the news of the attack, but they were a second too late.

"Let's go."

Gerard grunted.

"Pardon?"

"If we go after them now, we'll be able to catch them."

The Margrave of Verne frowned beside Gerard as he spoke. It was obvious what that expression meant. Do we have to?

"Excuse me, young Lord. Do we really have to go after them? They have already fled to the border."

"...What do you mean, Margrave?"

Gerard asked as he turned to Margrave Verne.

"Their territory is on the other side of the border. If we go there recklessly, we'll suffer a big loss."

"You don't have to worry about that. I've already researched the terrain outside the border."

Gerard continued, slowly closing his eyes and opening them again.

"If they touch Hernia... I'll show them what they're going to pay for doing so."

Margrave Verne mentally laughed at the childish remark of the young Commander. It was hilarious that he came with a sense of justice when he was just a kid who knew nothing.

"The only people who died were a few locals, right? There is no reason for a precious person like you to take such a risk."

"Is this just a vacation for you, Margrave?"

Gerard looked around and asked. A man with burnt skin, another whose arms had been severed, and yet another who was slowly dying under their collapsed house. He couldn't bear to witness such a disaster.

"This is a place where such things are routine. You can't compare it to the peaceful Capital of the Empire. What are you going to do if you lay a hand on the Tzuwai people and turn it into a disastrous war?"

Perhaps the Margrave, who had been guarding the western border for a long time, had a point. However, Gerard Blanchett wasn't raised that way.

"I became a knight to protect the Empire and the weak."