#23. war or just me

Start from the beginning

He had asked and received a very clear answer from Vought.

"We're making money, shut the fuck up Soldier Boy and tell those idiots to enlist in the army."

He was too tired to argue with Vought, in fact, he was about to go home and not participate in the damn Poison Rose presentation in front of the White House. Ben had passed through costume people, sound and prop people, and decided to get into his car and go home. However, he had seen Rosie spying on the number of people who had gathered for Vought's big announcement. She had a scared look on her face, like a rabbit escaping from a lion. She was biting her nails and had shortness of breath. She raised her finger with the intention of talking to the people passing by her, but no one paid attention. She looked frustrated, scared, like she was looking for someone among all the people. Was it him?

Ben approached and stood behind her in silence, waiting to see her reaction when she saw him.

"Oh Ben!" exclaimed Rosie relieved, she threw herself into his arms and hugged him so tightly it even hurt him. "Where were you? I've been looking for you all day, I thought you had left. Please tell them I regret it, I don't want to go out there."

Rosie didn't let go, and that was so sweet. She was looking for him.

"Don't start, Rosie. You just have to go out there, smile, and say your lines," Rosie buried her face in his chest and he heard her grumbling. "It's easy, come on." He tried to separate her from his body, but it was impossible. He couldn't resist giving her a small kiss on the head.

"I can't, I'm scared. Are you going to be with me?"

Finally, she decided to look him in the eyes. She had a dull green color and very large and round eyes that, when they were about to cry, could soften him. He couldn't stand her crying, except when she cried for him. He couldn't leave her alone, they would eat her alive.

"By your side."

"And can you speak for me?"

"No, honey, you speak for yourself. This is about Poison Rose."

"You're not leaving, are you? I need you there," she asked, pouting. He couldn't say no to that, besides, she had been so good to him...

"All the time."

Rosie smiled and gave him a kiss.

"I love you," she said, hooking onto one of his arms and staying there until they were told to go up. She smiled again and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "What if I forget my lines?"

"I'll cover for you, just relax. You look beautiful."

And she did. Rosie was dressed for the first time in her superhero costume and she looked damn beautiful. The outfit accentuated her breasts and small waist, there was no fabric covering her legs and the little vines hugged her butt, outlining her limits.

"Really? Isn't it too much skin? I feel uncomfortable."

"No, you look fine," he said, but because of the horror on her face, he had to come up with something. "Let me see if there's anything out of place." He took her hand and made her slowly turn around. "Oh yeah, look here." Ben pretended to brush off a bit of dirt on the area of her butt, there was nothing there, he just wanted to touch it. "There, perfect."

"Thank you," she said, giving him a quick kiss and holding onto his arm again.

Rosie was terrible at public speaking, she didn't have the charm and if they took her off-script, she didn't know how to improvise. Vought called him to talk about his girlfriend's poor performance in public.

"You promised us that you would take care of making sure Miss Harrington didn't look like a scared deer on stage. Did you see what she did? How could she possibly doubt that her powers were given to her by the Virgin Mary?! Please! It's the narrative we invented and she has to stick to it. How can she be so stupid?"