"I agree," Bilbo said, butting into the conversation with no shame. "We should stay together and enter together. Beorn might find us suspicious or dishonest if we don't all approach him at once."

The two looked at him in mutual surprise.

"Hmm. A practical idea, Master Baggins," Gandalf agreed, his gray eyes lighting up. "Come along then; I believe there is a gate hidden among those hedges!"

Bilbo followed the wizard along with his Dwarves as they finally came upon the thorn hedges. They skirted around until they finally came to a tall and broad wooden gate that Gandalf boldly pushed open. Beyond them laid an assortment of houses and gardens and more animals than Bilbo had seen in his life.

His comrades begin to mutter to one another as they pointed out oddities they found, or something they liked. He ignored them in favor of watching the horses that came trotting up to them; beautiful and groomed and looking at them intently with knowing eyes. They seemed to look over each visitor before sharing a look and then galloping off to one of the buildings.

"They have gone to tell him of our arrival," commented Gandalf, looking amused. They followed the path until they finally came to a courtyard where the horses had run off too. Standing above them all with his axe in one hand was Beorn.

Bilbo knew how large the shapeshifter was, but it still took him by surprise to see it again. Beorn was taller than Gandalf, as thickly muscled as Dwalin, and sported more hair than Gloin. He glanced over all of them as they approached, and then snorted.

"They are no threat," he said to the horses, petting the head of the nearest one. "Off with you now and let me deal with our visitors."

The horses trotted off easily while Beorn set his axe down and met them with his shrewd brown eyes. "Who are you and what do you want?" he asked, crossing his tree trunk arms across his chest.

Gandalf moved forward first and tipped his hat politely to the giant. "I am Gandalf the Gray."

"Never heard of it," Beorn replied because manners had never been his strong point. He looked over the others, and his frown grew deeper as he took in the many Dwarves with their weapons and scowls until he got to Bilbo. He stopped short and raised his bushy brows high.

"What are you supposed to be?" asked the shapeshifter, moving closer to get a better look.

Bilbo felt his Dwarves tense around him as the giant drew near, but he stepped forward calmly and met the curious look with one of his own.

"I am a Hobbit. What are you?" he returned, raising his chin. He heard Gandalf groan beside him and imagined that his father was probably rolling in his grave at his terrible manners.

Beorn didn't seem offended by his bluntness. Instead, he grinned and knelt down on one knee, so they were closer in height. Bilbo thought it was pointless, but he appreciated the thought.

"I am Beorn," he said simply. "Do you have a name, little bunny?"

"Bilbo Baggins, and I'm not a rabbit but a Hobbit," Bilbo replied with a scowl as he heard a few snorts and snickers behind him. He had a feeling he was going to be hearing that nickname for some time now.

The shapeshifter shrugged, unrepentant. He looked over the rest of the Company before glancing back to Gandalf. "The rest of you are Dwarves. I don't care for Dwarves. Why did you bring them and this bunny to my home?"

"We have come to ask for your help," the wizard answered. "We lost a good deal of our supplies when we were attacked by goblins. Then some of our companions were badly injured and abducted by Orcs. We managed to get them back and beat the Orcs and goblins, but it cost us more supplies and injuries."