"Aye, thanks to my little brother here!" Fili crowed, wrapping an arm around Kili's shoulders and shaking him. "Nailed the bastard right in the eye he did. Wouldn't be surprised if he died from the injury."

Kili beamed from under his brother's arm. "It was all luck. I wouldn't have gotten a chance if Mister Baggins hadn't distracted him."

"True! Where is our burglar? I need to thank him for saving my life!" Fili cried, standing up and looking around. When his eyes finally found the Hobbit, he smiled just as brightly as the sun.

"Bilbo! Why are you so far away? Get over here so I can thank you properly!" the blond Dwarf demanded.

Bilbo raised his brows and tried not smirk too obviously. "So, I can smell the Orc blood more clearly? I think I'll pass and stay right here. Upwind. Away from the smell."

Most of the others broke into laughter at his retort, but Fili scowled in answer. He marched through the Dwarves over to the lone Hobbit and flopped down in front of him. With the young Dwarf so close, Bilbo could now make out his wounds more clearly. What he saw made him wince.

"You saved my life back there," Fili said, not noticing his wince or discomfort. "I don't know what would have happened if... if you hadn't..."

"I could do nothing else," he finished for the Dwarf. Fili was beginning to look a bit lost as he recalled the evening, and he didn't want to see him sad again. "I would never let any of you die. Not if I can help it."

Fili blinked his blue eyes that he shared with his uncle before a wide smile split across his face. Before he knew it, Bilbo found himself being pulled into a hug that squeezed all the air from his lungs at once.

"Thank you for saving my life," Fili mumbled into his ear. His beard tickled his ear and neck, but the Hobbit was willing to endure it. Honestly, he needed a hug just as much as Fili did at this point.

"You're welcome, Fili," he muttered back, trying not to melt into the embrace like a child.

"Hey, Fili! Stop harassing our burglar and get over here! It's your turn now!" Oin ordered from the group as he finished tending to Bofur.

The younger Dwarf groaned but dutifully released Bilbo and got to his feet. "Fine, fine! But no poking this time! I got enough of that with the Orcs..."

~*~

Bilbo continued to watch over his comrades even after all the wounds were healed, their bellies filled, and they all finally drifted off to sleep. He found that he could not make himself fall asleep quite as easily, and honestly, he didn't want to at this point. He had too much to think about, too much to plan and go over in his head. Not to mention he still felt shaken from nearly losing his Dwarves (again) thanks to his own stupidity.

No, he wasn't going to be sleeping anytime soon.

At least he was not the only one still awake. Dori sat next to Nori and Ori and kept looking at them like he couldn't believe they were there. Dwalin was polishing his axe while Gandalf smoked his pipe and seemed to study the night sky above.

And then there was Thorin.

The royal Dwarf was on watch and was sitting by himself a little bit away. Occasionally he would look back at them, and slowly run his blue eyes over each Dwarf. When they landed on Fili and Kili, they softened slightly and lingered the longest. Then he would continue on before finally going back to his watch.

He didn't blame any of the Dwarves for their reassurances. He could hardly help himself either from looking over each of them; taking in every injury and bruise, and the careful rise and fall of their chests. He still couldn't shake the lingering fear at nearly losing them again.