III, 3: 2066. November 18th, Tuesday, 16:00

Rose arrives at the school just in time to hear the bell ringing. Kids are already pouring out of the school gate.

Rose gets out of the car and sees a blonde seven-year-old girl walking toward her. It takes a second to recognise her, but it is Mr Johnson's daughter.

"Hi, Sophia," Rose yells out.

"Hi, Rose. I am waiting for my dad here. But I don't see him."

Rose thinks for a bit. "Ellie and I were going to get some strawberry cake. Do you want to join us?"

"I'd love to. Let me just text my dad."

Rose is distracted when Ellie runs at her and gives her a hug. "Hi, Mom! Did you miss me?"

"Of course, I did, little angel. I love you."

"I love you too, Mom."

"Do you want to go out to eat strawberry cheesecake with Sophia and me?"

Ellie jumps up and down from excitement.

"Of course. I love strawberry cheesecake. It's my favourite."

Rose helps Ellie into the car, and Sophia goes to sit in the front seat.

"My dad hasn't texted me back, but I am sure it is ok."

They drive a short way to a small bakery and go inside. The smells of cake and pastry fill Rose's nostrils. and the girls get excited the moment they step in.

A middle-aged woman with blue curly hair stands behind the counter. "Hello, what can I get you?"

"I would like to order a strawberry cake."

"To eat here, or to take with you?"

"To eat here."

The girls take a seat at a small table, and the woman brings them a large strawberry cake with three plates.

Rose gives each child a slice of cake, and they both start eating it very messily. While they are eating, Rose shows Sophia a picture of Mrs Smith on her phone.

"Sophia, do you know who this is?"

"Yes I know her, she is a friend of my dad. She often comes over when my Mom isn't home."

"Just as I thought."

At that moment, they hear a loud voice, yelling. Mr Johnson storms in, panting, with a red face. "What the hell, Rose!" He yells.

Rose stands up. "Please don't curse, there are children here."

Mr Johnson takes a moment to catch his breath. His face is dripping with sweat, and he shakes his head.

"Why did you kidnap my daughter?" He asks.

Rose takes a step forward, crosses her arms and looks him in the eye. Even tho she is quite a bit smaller than him, she intimidates him with ease. He backs away.

"I told you if you lied to me again, you would be sorry," Rose whispers. Mr Johnson looks at her, dumbfounded. He then looks at the girls, sitting on the table next to him. They aren't listening, they are too focused on their strawberry cheesecake.

"Nobody hired you to kill my boss. You decided you wanted him dead yourself."

"You are insane." Mr Johnson says. He looks down instead of in her eye. Rose keeps her gaze on him.

"This morning I had a talk with Mrs Smith. She told me she didn't have access to her husband's money. Or no money at all. So how did she cough up the money to pay you a ludicrous sum?"

Mr Johnson takes another step back. "I never told you she hired me, maybe someone else did. Besides, Desperate people are capable of gathering money in many ways. You know that better than anyone."

"That might be true. But then she told me she had a place to stay. That someone just loans her a fully furnished apartment. Someone whom she didn't want to name."

"So," Mr Johnson says. "Her mystery friend has paid me. I still don't understand why you are saying I lied to you."

"Another thing," Rose says. "I was wondering why you, a person who often visits the racing track, to use your words, need someone else to place the device on the car. Why not pop in on yourself during one of the visits?"

Mr Johnson tries to interrupt but Rose takes a new step forward.

"I tell you why!" Rose says. "Because you didn't recognise me at all from the racing track. You recognise me and Ellie from Mrs Smith's description. That is why I never saw you, and why were only sure after you saw Ellie."

Mr Johnson stares at her.

Rose continue "I just confirmed with your daughter that I was right. You killed Mr Smith because you are having an affair with his wife."

Mr Johnson looks horrified. "You are a very clever girl. One day that is going to get you killed."

"That might be true."

"What do you want? Are you here to blackmail me? How much eurodollars do you need so you won't tell my wife."

"I don't want anything. I just wanted to show you can't keep secrets from me. I will find out. So don't. This is your last warning."

Mr Johnson shakes his head. "You think I will still hire you for jobs after all this."

"I do. Haven't I just proven to you I am more than capable?"

"But I clearly cannot trust you."

"A wise man once said to me. 'This is Seattle. You cannot trust anyone.' And he was right."

Mr Johnson sighs. He seems to think for a while.

He then raises his voice. "Sophia! We are going home!"

"But dad," she cries "I didn't finish my cheesecake yet."

"Just bring it with you in the car."